Is Sin^2(a) Equal to Sin^2(b) + Sin^2(c) Only in a Right Triangle at A?

In summary, the homework statement proved that sin^2(a)=sin^2(b)+sin^2(c) if and only if ABC is a right triangle in A.
Andrax

Homework Statement

prove that sin^2(a)=sin^2(b)+sin^2(c) if and only if ABC is a right triangle in A

i worked really hard on this one I'm really confused why i didn' get the answer

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a+b+c=pi
tried turning everythng to cos 2x didn't helpi really couldn't do this one, can't use complex numbers by the way...please help

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, [itex]a+b+c = \pi[/itex] is going to be true of all triangles, so that's not necessarily going to be much help.

What does ABC being a right-angled triangle in A imply for the value of a? What does that imply for the value of b+c? What does that imply for the value of [itex]\sin^2 a[/itex]?

Snark1994 said:
Well, [itex]a+b+c = \pi[/itex] is going to be true of all triangles, so that's not necessarily going to be much help.

What does ABC being a right-angled triangle in A imply for the value of a? What does that imply for the value of b+c? What does that imply for the value of [itex]\sin^2 a[/itex]?

i tried everything you said also transforming [itex]\sin^2 a[/itex] won't help me since i want to keep sin a

Andrax said:
transforming [itex]\sin^2 a[/itex] won't help me since i want to keep sin a

Transforming [itex]\sin^2 a[/itex] will help you. In fact, the easiest way I can see of proving the result from right-to-left (remember for an "if and only if" you need to prove it both ways) is to show that [itex]\sin^2 a = k = \sin^2 b + \sin^2 c[/itex] for some specific number k whose value you'll have to work out.

Like I asked, if the triangle is right-angled in A, what can you say about the value of 'a'? You can be very specific!

[itex]\sin((\pi/2) - \theta)=\cos(\theta)[/itex]

Also, for this to be true, a must be the right angle of the right triangle.

SammyS said:
[itex]\sin((\pi/2) - \theta)=\cos(\theta)[/itex]

Also, for this to be true, a must be the right angle of the right triangle.

solved using Pythagoras's theorem --> let abc be a triangle wehave sin a^2 = AB^2 etc..
thank everyone..

Related to Is Sin^2(a) Equal to Sin^2(b) + Sin^2(c) Only in a Right Triangle at A?

What is a right triangle?

A right triangle is a triangle that has one angle measuring 90 degrees.

How do you prove that ABC is a right triangle?

To prove that ABC is a right triangle, you can use the Pythagorean Theorem, which states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides.

What are the properties of a right triangle?

Some properties of a right triangle include: one angle measures 90 degrees, the sides opposite the acute angles are called the legs, and the side opposite the right angle is called the hypotenuse.

Can a triangle be both right and equilateral?

No, a triangle cannot be both right and equilateral. An equilateral triangle has all three sides equal, which would make all three angles equal as well. However, in a right triangle, one angle is 90 degrees and the other two angles are acute angles, meaning they are less than 90 degrees.

How can we use the fact that ABC is a right triangle in mathematical problems?

Knowing that ABC is a right triangle can help us solve for the length of its sides or angles using the Pythagorean Theorem or trigonometric ratios. It can also be used in real-world applications, such as finding the height of a building or the distance between two points.