1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help me with this proof if ABC is a right triangle

1. Mar 3, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    prove that sin^2(a)=sin^2(b)+sin^2(c) if and only if ABC is a right triangle in A

i worked really hard on this one i'm really confused why i didn' get the answer
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    a+b+c=pi
    tried turning everythng to cos 2x didn't helpi really couldn't do this one, can't use complex numbers by the way...please help

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2013 #2
    Well, [itex]a+b+c = \pi[/itex] is going to be true of all triangles, so that's not necessarily going to be much help.

What does ABC being a right-angled triangle in A imply for the value of a? What does that imply for the value of b+c? What does that imply for the value of [itex]\sin^2 a[/itex]?

4. Mar 3, 2013 #3
    i tried everything you said also transforming [itex]\sin^2 a[/itex] won't help me since i want to keep sin a

5. Mar 3, 2013 #4
    Transforming [itex]\sin^2 a[/itex] will help you. In fact, the easiest way I can see of proving the result from right-to-left (remember for an "if and only if" you need to prove it both ways) is to show that [itex]\sin^2 a = k = \sin^2 b + \sin^2 c[/itex] for some specific number k whose value you'll have to work out.

Like I asked, if the triangle is right-angled in A, what can you say about the value of 'a'? You can be very specific!

6. Mar 3, 2013 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

[itex]\sin((\pi/2) - \theta)=\cos(\theta)[/itex]

Also, for this to be true, a must be the right angle of the right triangle.

7. Mar 3, 2013 #6
    solved using Pythagoras's theorem --> let abc be a triangle wehave sin a^2 = AB^2 etc..
    thank everyone..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted