How Many Moles Are in 80.1g of Phosphorus and Atoms in 4.4 Mol F2?

• Chemistry
  • Thread starter sunnygirl37
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moles
In summary, from the information given, it seems that there are 2.6 x 10 (24th power) atoms of Fluorine in 4.4 mol F(subscript 2).
sunnygirl37
Help! Moles in Phosphorus?

I have a couple problems I can't figure out.

1. How many moles of phosphorus are present in 80.1g of phosphorus?
a. 0.387 mol
b. 2.59 mol
c. 2.48 x 10(3rd power) mol
d. 15.58 x 10 (23rd power) mol
e. none of these

2. How many atoms of fluorine are there in 4.4 mol F(subscript 2)?
a. 2.6 x 10 (24th power) atoms
b. 13.2 x 10 (23rd power) atoms
c. 5.3 x 10 (24th power) atoms
d. 14.6 x 10 (-24th power) atoms
e. 0.7 x 10 (23rd power) atoms.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org

This is a chemistry question, but anyway, if you look up on your periodic table, there is a number called the "molecular weight". For phosphorus, you should find its molecular weight is 30.974 grams/mol.
You should be able to figure out what to do from there.

Now, if you remember what a mole is, it's a weird number. It means Avogadro's number (6*10^(23)) of whatever it is you're counting. For example, if you're talking about a mole of cars, you mean Avogadro's number of cars, so 4.4 moles of Fluorine would be how many numbers of Fluorine molecules?

I hope this helps!

So I'm thinking that I would multiply the molecular weight of phosphorus (30.974) x 4.4? I got 135.2856. I'm just not sure what to do from there?

First of all, those problems are not related to each other, they're separate questions, I think you're mixing them up and confusing stuff together.

Problem 1 is a very simple idea. Remember, the molecular weight is grams/mole. If the molecular weight of Phosphorus is 30.974 grams of Phosphorus per mole, that means:
for 1 mole of Phosphorus, you will get 30.974 grams of Phosphorus.

You can reverse this idea around because your equation is:
1 mole of Phosphorus = 30.974 grams Phosphorus
so 1 gram Phosphorus = 1/(30.974) moles of Phosphorus.
(this is called unit conversions, you should really review this because you can't do Chemistry without it, nor physics)

So if you have 80.1 grams of Phosphorus, how many moles of Phosphorus will you get?
For question 2:
You need to know what a mole means. I have already explained it, but i'll try again:
1 mole of (something) = 6.022 * 10^23 (something)'s

where (something) can be anything (Fluorine, Phosphorus, carbon, billiard balls)

good luck

1. What is the importance of phosphorus for moles?

Phosphorus is a vital nutrient for moles as it plays a key role in their metabolic processes, including bone formation, muscle development, and energy production.

2. How can phosphorus deficiency affect moles?

If moles do not have enough phosphorus in their diet, it can lead to stunted growth, weakened bones, and reduced energy levels. It can also make them more susceptible to diseases and infections.

3. How can I help increase phosphorus levels for moles in their habitat?

One way to increase phosphorus levels is by adding organic matter, such as compost or manure, to the soil in the mole's habitat. This will provide a natural source of phosphorus for them to consume.

4. Are there any negative effects of too much phosphorus for moles?

Yes, excessive amounts of phosphorus can be harmful to moles. It can lead to an imbalance of other nutrients in their diet and can even be toxic in high concentrations. It is important to maintain a balanced level of phosphorus in their habitat.

5. Can I supplement moles' diet with phosphorus-rich foods?

Yes, you can provide moles with phosphorus-rich foods, such as insects, earthworms, and grubs. However, it is important to ensure that the overall diet remains balanced and does not contain excessive amounts of phosphorus.