1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

HELP Need answer to this force due to charge problem

1. Jan 14, 2006 #1
    HELP!! Need answer to this force due to charge problem!!

Here it is:

Three charges are fixed in place as shown. The squares in the grid have sides of length s = 0.24 m. The magnitude of q is 3 mu or micro Coulombs (1 mu or micro Coulomb = 10-6 Coulombs), while the magnitude of Q is 4.5 mu or micro Coulombs. What is the magnitude of the net force on q due to the other two charges?

I really need the answer to the problem, it's killing me, I've worked on it for 2 hours and can't get it. The picture is attached.

Thanks a ton,
    Matt

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6103&stc=1&d=1137281964

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2006 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

How about writing the formula for electric force, and then putting in the numbers. Remember, the force and electric field are vector quantities, so one must use vector addition.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?