Choosing the Best Calculator for Your College Physics Major | Expert Tips

• Calculators
  • Thread starter Sophie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculator
In summary, a college freshman is seeking advice on purchasing a graphing calculator for their physics major. They are considering the TI-89 titanium but are unsure if there are other options that may better suit their needs and budget. They are also curious about the use of computers as calculators. Another individual mentions the high cost of the TI-89 and recommends exploring other options such as the HP 50G. They provide a link to a discussion comparing the two calculators.
Sophie
Hi,

I'm going to be a college freshman in the fall and I don't own a graphing calculator (I used the school's in high school). I'm planning to major in physics and I am assuming that I should buy one, I'm just not sure which one. Right now the TI-89 titanium seems to be the most comprehensive, however I'm wondering if there is one out there that would better suit my needs and budget. Any suggestions would be great :)

Computer science news on Phys.org
I studied long ago, and back then, the only thing we were allowed was a non-programmable simple scientific calculator - which we almost never used, btw. So I stepped back from my old Ti-59 which was starting to have problems back then.

Now, just out of curiosity, I looked up that Ti-89 titanium, and holy S**T ! That costs about 200 Euro ! Never I would give such an amount of money for a calculator today! For 300 Euro, you have an EEPC, which would, in my opinion, be a very good tool for a student (light, you can take notes with it, it is a real computer...). If you install something like scilab on it, you have a far better calculator.

As to good performance lower cost calculators, I don't know. But I find that titanium too expensive for what it is - although I can recon it to be the star of the calculators.

In my university - and most of the others in Egypt as well-, we are yet to be allowed to use a graphic calculator.

May I redirect you to this discussion:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=133304

Many of the good and bad points are brought up for a TI-89 and the HP 50G. Personaly, I have and love the HP, but everyone has their own preference.

Hope that was of help,
Nkk2008

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a calculator?

When choosing a calculator, it is important to consider your specific needs and intended use for the calculator. Factors to consider include the type of calculations you will be performing, the size and portability of the calculator, the display and buttons, and the power source (battery or solar).

2. What are the main differences between scientific and graphing calculators?

Scientific calculators are typically used for basic mathematical functions and scientific calculations, while graphing calculators have more advanced features, such as graphing capabilities and the ability to store and recall equations. Graphing calculators are also typically larger and more expensive than scientific calculators.

3. Can I use a calculator for standardized tests like the SAT or ACT?

It is important to check with the testing organization to see if a specific calculator model is allowed for the test. Generally, scientific calculators are allowed, but graphing calculators may be prohibited.

4. Are there any specific brands or models of calculators that are recommended?

There are many reputable brands and models of calculators available on the market. Some popular brands include Texas Instruments, Casio, and HP. It is important to consider your specific needs and budget when choosing a calculator.

5. Can I use a calculator for complex mathematical equations and functions?

Yes, many modern calculators have the capability to perform complex mathematical functions and equations. However, it is important to check the specifications and capabilities of the specific calculator model before purchasing.