Help Needed for Two-Body Inclined Plane and Pulley Problem please

In summary, two blocks connected over a pulley with a mass of 10 kg and a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.20 on a 30 degree incline. Block A slides down at a constant speed and the question asks for the mass of Block B. Using equations for net force, friction, and gravity, the normal force was found to be 84.87 N and the kinetic friction 16.97 N. The downward force on Block A was then calculated, along with normal reaction and frictional force. Using these values, the tension on the rope was found to be equal to the gravitational force on Block B, resulting in a mass of 3.27 kg.
katzmeow9

Homework Statement

Two blocks are connected over a pulley. The mass of block A is 10 kg, and the coefficient of kinetic friction between A and the incline is 0.20. Angle theta of the incline is 30 degrees. Block A slides down the incline at constant speed. What is the mass of Block B?

Homework Equations

a = Fnet/m
fk = [coefficient of kinetic friction] * N
Fg = mg

The Attempt at a Solution

I found N [normal force] to equal 84.87 N and fk to equal 16.97 N, but those could be wrong. Also, when tilting the plane, Fgx equals 49 N and a = 0. I don't know if those are correct, because I started to get confused at the end. My answer is 3.27 kg (after getting a weight of 32.03 N). I doubt that's the right answer because I started to mix up which forces should be equal to each other.

Unfortunately I can't find the image of the diagram online, but Block A is on an incline in this direction / with the angle 30 degrees above the horizontal on the positive x axis. the pulley is attached to the top right corner (at the highest point) and Block B is hanging vertical. It is SIMILAR to this picture, except block a is on the incline sliding downward and block b is hanging vertically, I assume being pulled upward.
1a80270d69eb631e150d9a0a56396b96.jpg

I need help tonight!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi catzmeow9, welcome to PF.
Downward motion of A can prevented by the frictional force and the weight of B.
Find down ward force on A.
Find normal reaction and the frictional force. Then proceed.

hmm...I THINK that's what I did...would it be possible for anyone to check my answer?
I didn't explain my work very well but I can barely follow it myself... I found the force of gravity on A, and used that to find the force of gravity on A that points down the slope. Normal force should be equal (but opposite direction) to the force of gravity that's in the y direction of the shifted coordinate plane...so using that I found the kinetic friction, then used Fgx - (tension on rope + fk) = 0 to find the tension on the rope. At that point I was confused about whether that tension would equal the same as the tension int he rope for Block B, and then would therefore equal the gravitational force on B, since acceleration is 0. I assumed it would, and used the same value as the tension force for the weight of B (32.03 N). I then used that to find the mass of 3.27 kg.
Is this correct?

Thanks for your help!

Your answer is correct.

Wow. Thank you very much!

1. What is a two-body inclined plane and pulley problem?

A two-body inclined plane and pulley problem is a type of physics problem that involves two objects connected by a pulley, with one object placed on an inclined plane. The goal of the problem is to determine the relationship between the forces acting on the objects and their resulting motion.

2. How do I approach solving a two-body inclined plane and pulley problem?

First, draw a diagram of the problem and label all known quantities. Then, use Newton's laws of motion and the principles of equilibrium to set up and solve equations for the forces acting on the objects. Finally, check your solution by making sure all forces are balanced and the objects are in equilibrium.

3. What are the key concepts to understand in order to solve a two-body inclined plane and pulley problem?

The key concepts include understanding the forces acting on the objects (such as weight, tension, and friction), understanding how these forces affect the motion of the objects, and being able to apply equations for Newton's laws and equilibrium to solve for unknown quantities.

4. How does the angle of the inclined plane affect the problem?

The angle of the inclined plane affects the problem because it determines the relative magnitudes of the forces acting on the objects. For example, a steeper incline will result in a larger weight component acting down the plane, while a shallower incline will result in a smaller weight component and a larger normal force.

5. Are there any tips for solving a two-body inclined plane and pulley problem more efficiently?

One helpful tip is to break the problem down into smaller parts and solve each part separately before combining the solutions. It can also be helpful to draw a free body diagram for each object and label the forces acting on it. Additionally, check your solution by making sure it makes sense physically (e.g. forces are balanced, objects are in equilibrium).