Calculating Thrust and Lift Forces for a Jet Fighter Taking Off at 27 Degrees

• Thread starter Anisotropic Galaxy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    3d Motion
In summary, to find the thrust T of a jet fighter taking off at an angle of 27.0 degrees with the horizontal and accelerating at 2.62 m/s*s, the mass of the plane (79,300 N divided by g) must be multiplied by the acceleration. The lift force L exerted by the air perpendicular to the wings can be found by using the equation L = 89,000 N - mgsin27. Other equations that may be used include T = m(a_x) + mgsin27 and L = mgcos27 and T = m(a_x) + mgsin27.
Anisotropic Galaxy
A jet fighter takes off at an angle of 27.0 degrees w/ the horizontal, accelerating at 2.62 m/s*s. The plane weighs 79,300 N. I need to find the thrust T of the engine on the plane and the lift force L exerted by the air perpendicular to the wings.

Thanks

My reasoning so far...

79,3000 N / g = 8084 kg.

F = ma = 2.62 m/s^2 * 8092 kg -> 21179 N.

So I'm thinking that be the thrust.

As for the lift force L though, I don't know. Could I use sin or cosine?

Physics news on Phys.org
Anisotropic Galaxy said:
A jet fighter takes off at an angle of 27.0 degrees w/ the horizontal, accelerating at 2.62 m/s*s. The plane weighs 79,300 N. I need to find the thrust T of the engine on the plane and the lift force L exerted by the air perpendicular to the wings.

Thanks

My reasoning so far...

79,3000 N / g = 8084 kg.

This is the mass of the airplane. You'll need it.

Here's a list of all the forces that act upon the plane:
- gravity
- lift of the wings
- thrust of the engines

That's 3 forces (try to find in what direction they are applied ; make a drawing of the forces). Find the total force.

Now, the airplane is not in equilibrium. It is accelerating. So what should you do with the 3 forces ? What equation should you use ? (hint: Newton...)

F = ma = 2.62 m/s^2 * 8092 kg -> 21179 N.

That should be the total force, yes...

So I'm thinking that be the thrust.

As for the lift force L though, I don't know. Could I use sin or cosine?

No, it is not the thrust. It is the total force (of which thrust is only a part)...

Leave you here...

Is the thrust simply cos(27.0)*21179 N then?

So...the force of the lift is 89,000 N, right? a_y = 2.62 m/s^2*sin27.0 = (Lift - mg)/m so then by substituting things, Lift = 89,000 N.

But someone else got a different answer than me, so I'm probably wrong here...

Does

Should i switch the axis around, and then the Force of the thrust = (2.62cos27-gsin27)m and L equal to (2.62sin27+gcos27)m?

sound right...?

or.. maybe not?

L = mgcos27 and T = m(a_x) + mgsin27?

1. What is 3D motion?

3D motion refers to the movement of objects in three-dimensional space. This includes the motion of objects along the x, y, and z axes, as well as any rotation or changes in orientation.

2. What is the difference between 2D and 3D motion?

The main difference between 2D and 3D motion is the number of axes involved. 2D motion occurs only along the x and y axes, while 3D motion includes movement along the z axis as well. Additionally, 3D motion can involve rotation and changes in orientation, while 2D motion is limited to linear movement.

3. How is 3D motion captured or measured?

There are several methods for capturing and measuring 3D motion, including using cameras, motion capture systems, and sensors. These technologies can track the position and orientation of an object in 3D space and record its movement over time.

4. What are some applications of 3D motion analysis?

3D motion analysis has many applications in various fields, including sports, biomechanics, animation, robotics, and virtual reality. It can be used to study movement patterns, improve performance, and create realistic simulations.

5. What are some challenges in analyzing 3D motion?

Some challenges in analyzing 3D motion include accurately tracking the movement of multiple objects simultaneously, dealing with occlusions (when one object blocks the view of another), and accounting for external factors such as gravity and air resistance. Calibration and data processing can also be complex and time-consuming processes.