1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help on 3D Motion Prob

1. Oct 11, 2005 #1
    A jet fighter takes off at an angle of 27.0 degrees w/ the horizontal, accelerating at 2.62 m/s*s. The plane weighs 79,300 N. I need to find the thrust T of the engine on the plane and the lift force L exerted by the air perpendicular to the wings.

My reasoning so far...

79,3000 N / g = 8084 kg.

F = ma = 2.62 m/s^2 * 8092 kg -> 21179 N.

So I'm thinking that be the thrust.

As for the lift force L though, I don't know. Could I use sin or cosine?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is the mass of the airplane. You'll need it.

Here's a list of all the forces that act upon the plane:
    - gravity
    - lift of the wings
    - thrust of the engines

That's 3 forces (try to find in what direction they are applied ; make a drawing of the forces). Find the total force.

Now, the airplane is not in equilibrium. It is accelerating. So what should you do with the 3 forces ? What equation should you use ? (hint: Newton...)

That should be the total force, yes....

No, it is not the thrust. It is the total force (of which thrust is only a part)...

Leave you here...
  4. Oct 11, 2005 #3
    Is the thrust simply cos(27.0)*21179 N then?

So...the force of the lift is 89,000 N, right? a_y = 2.62 m/s^2*sin27.0 = (Lift - mg)/m so then by substituting things, Lift = 89,000 N.
  5. Oct 11, 2005 #4
    But someone else got a different answer than me, so I'm probably wrong here......
  6. Oct 11, 2005 #5

Should i switch the axis around, and then the Force of the thrust = (2.62cos27-gsin27)m and L equal to (2.62sin27+gcos27)m?

sound right...?
  7. Oct 11, 2005 #6
    or.. maybe not?

L = mgcos27 and T = m(a_x) + mgsin27?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?