Motorcycle Acceleration: Find Position, Velocity & Max Velocity

In summary, the acceleration of a motorcycle is given by ax(t) = At - Bt2, where A = 1.70 m/s3 and B = 0.170 m/s4. The motorcycle is at rest at the origin at time t = 0.
Musicman
The acceleration of a motorcycle is given by ax(t) = At - Bt2, where A = 1.70 m/s3 and B = 0.170 m/s4. The motorcycle is at rest at the origin at time t = 0.

(a) Find its position as a function of time t.

Find its velocity as a function of time t.

b. Calculate the max velocity it attains. I already calculated the max velocity it attains which is 28.33 m/s.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi there musicman and welcome to PF,

What are your thoughts on this question? Would you mind posting what you have attempted thus far?

For the first question it looks like you are just supposed to integrate and sketch some graphs, but, as Hootenanny has already asked, what have you done so far?

ok i got:

v - v' = integral(At - Bt^2)dt
v = (1/2)At^2 - (1/3)Bt^3 + v'

x - x' = integral( v dt )
x = (1/6)At^3 - (1/12)Bt^4 + v't + x'

Musicman said:
ok i got:

v - v' = integral(At - Bt^2)dt
v = (1/2)At^2 - (1/3)Bt^3 + v'
That's correct, as the motocycle starts from rest your v' or constant of integration drops out.
Musicman said:
x - x' = integral( v dt )
x = (1/6)At^3 - (1/12)Bt^4 + v't + x'
This is also correct, again as your motocycle begins from rest at the origin your terms v' and x' drop out.

so would i write those exact functions in the space provided? or solve for an answer? and do i leave the apostrophes after the variables or no

Musicman said:
so would i write those exact functions in the space provided? or solve for an answer? and do i leave the apostrophes after the variables or no
Well, they can be simplified a bit, but will your tutor accept unsimplified answers? As a said before, the v', v't and x' terms drop out because of the intial conditions imposed by the question;
Question said:
The motorcycle is at rest at the origin at time t = 0

yea, they got to be simplified, thanks for the help.

Musicman said:
yea, they got to be simplified, thanks for the help.
Have you attempted to simplify them? How are you getting on with your second question?

v = (1/2)At^2 - (1/3)Bt^3 + v' was this the one as position as a function of time or velocity? the velocity right? because x is displacement

Musicman said:
v = (1/2)At^2 - (1/3)Bt^3 + v' was this the one as position as a function of time or velocity? the velocity right? because x is displacement
This is a function of velocity, this is a result of integrating acceleration.

ok right after it says find its velocity as a funtion of time it says (m/s) after the blank, so are they askign for a number or just the equation v=(1/2)At^2-(1/3)Bt^3...and isn't it ok for me to take off the +v' sicne it is zero?

Musicman said:
ok right after it says find its velocity as a funtion of time it says (m/s) after the blank, so are they askign for a number or just the equation
Is a function a number of an equation?:wink:
Musicman said:
v=(1/2)At^2-(1/3)Bt^3...and isn't it ok for me to take off the +v' sicne it is zero?
Yes, in fact you should do as I have said on numerous occasions previously.

i wrote an actual number for position as a function of time and velocity as a function of time and got it wrong

Musicman said:
i wrote an actual number for position as a function of time and velocity as a function of time and got it wrong
Damn webassign homework :grumpy: . Sorry, I'm not getting at you. What exactly did you write?

13.12 m for the position as a function of time and 17.34 m/s as the velocity as a function of time.

Musicman said:
13.12 m for the position as a function of time and 17.34 m/s as the velocity as a function of time.
Where did you get those numbers from? There is no way you can calculate them; besides the question asks for a function, not a numerical answer.

What is motorcycle acceleration?

Motorcycle acceleration is the rate at which the velocity of a motorcycle changes over time. It is a measure of how quickly the motorcycle's speed is increasing or decreasing.

How do you find the position of a motorcycle during acceleration?

The position of a motorcycle during acceleration can be found by integrating the motorcycle's velocity over time. This will give the displacement or distance traveled by the motorcycle.

How do you calculate the velocity of a motorcycle during acceleration?

The velocity of a motorcycle during acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in position (displacement) by the change in time. This will give the average velocity of the motorcycle during that time interval.

What is the maximum velocity of a motorcycle during acceleration?

The maximum velocity of a motorcycle during acceleration is the highest speed that the motorcycle reaches during the acceleration process. This can be calculated by finding the highest point on a velocity-time graph or by using the motorcycle's acceleration and time values in a specific formula.

How does motorcycle acceleration affect fuel consumption?

Motorcycle acceleration can significantly affect fuel consumption. Rapid acceleration uses more fuel than gradual acceleration, as the engine has to work harder to increase the motorcycle's speed quickly. Consistent and smooth acceleration can improve fuel efficiency and also reduce wear and tear on the motorcycle's engine.