1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help on resistance

1. Aug 19, 2004 #1
    hi guys,

i need to calculate the substitution resistance between the points A and B of the chain in the attached picture. Each rectangle is a resistance R , except the resistance on the right-top of the figure. That has value 2R ; and the solution has to be (13/11)R. I know that we have to use Kirchoff's laws, yet I do not seem to be able to solve it, i Get (9/5)R. Maybe you can.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How are you sure it's (13/11) R? It looks like just R to me -- the middle resistance is inconsequential, since it's between two nodes that are always at the same potential.

- Warren
  4. Aug 19, 2004 #3
    yes, you are right. But i made a little mistake. All resistances are R except the resistance on the right -top. It is 2R not R

Solution is certainly (13/11) R

5. Aug 20, 2004 #4
    Well, the only thing I was able to do is to apply the two Kirchoff's laws to the chain. In the first knod I have for the currents : I_0=I_1+I_2 Then the two knods in the middel (say I_3 is the current in the middle) = I_1=I_3+I_4 and below I_2+I_3=I_4

Then the second law , I follow the two closed subchains clockwisely

first chain : -I_1R-I_3R = I_2R
    second subchain : -I_4R+I_5R+I_3R = 0

6. Aug 20, 2004 #5
    google it. I always hated those resistance exercise, they can be especially difficult. This one is not too difficult though. You could use Millman, Norton, Thevenin... whatever. Here is an elementary solution :
  7. Aug 20, 2004 #6
    [tex] R_{eq}[/tex]=[tex]\frac{v}{i}[/tex] ........(1)

node 1 :
    i + [tex]\frac{v_{1}-v}{R}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{v_{2}-v}{R}[/tex] = 0

i = [tex]\frac{-v_{1}-v_{2}+2R}{R}[/tex] ....... (2)

node 2 :
    [tex]\frac{v-v_{1}}{R}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{0-v_{1}}{2R}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{v_{2}-v_{1}}{R}[/tex] = 0

[tex]v_{2}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{-2v + 5v_{1}}{2}[/tex] ..... (3)

node 3:

[tex]\frac{v_{1}-v_{2}}{R}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{0-v_{2}}{R}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{v-v_{2}}{R}[/tex] = 0

[tex]v_{1}[/tex] = -v + [tex]3v_{2}[/tex] ....... (4)

Use (3) & (4) and substitute the answers into (1) get :

[tex]v_{2}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{7v}{13}[/tex]
    [tex]v_{1}[/tex] =[tex]\frac{8v}{13}[/tex]
    [tex]R_{eq}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{13R}{11}[/tex]

Node 1, 2 and 3 use Kirchoff's current law.
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2004
  8. Aug 20, 2004 #7
    thanks to all of you for helping me out...

9. Aug 20, 2004 #8
    you're welcome Marlon :wink: I love electronics :yuck:
    :biggrin: :tongue2:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?