Help Calculate Resistance Between Points A & B - Kirchoff's Law

• Thread starter marlon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistance
In summary, Marlon needs to calculate the substitution resistance between the points A and B of the chain in the attached picture. Each rectangle is a resistance R , except the resistance on the right-top of the figure. That has value 2R ; and the solution has to be (13/11)R. I know that we have to use Kirchoff's laws, yet I do not seem to be able to solve it, so Marlon turned to the experts. He found that In summary, the solution is certainly (13/11) R.
marlon
hi guys,

i need to calculate the substitution resistance between the points A and B of the chain in the attached picture. Each rectangle is a resistance R , except the resistance on the right-top of the figure. That has value 2R ; and the solution has to be (13/11)R. I know that we have to use Kirchoff's laws, yet I do not seem to be able to solve it, i Get (9/5)R. Maybe you can.

regards
marlon

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How are you sure it's (13/11) R? It looks like just R to me -- the middle resistance is inconsequential, since it's between two nodes that are always at the same potential.

- Warren

chroot said:
How are you sure it's (13/11) R? It looks like just R to me -- the middle resistance is inconsequential, since it's between two nodes that are always at the same potential.

- Warren

yes, you are right. But i made a little mistake. All resistances are R except the resistance on the right -top. It is 2R not R

Solution is certainly (13/11) R

regards
marlon

Well, the only thing I was able to do is to apply the two Kirchoff's laws to the chain. In the first knod I have for the currents : I_0=I_1+I_2 Then the two knods in the middel (say I_3 is the current in the middle) = I_1=I_3+I_4 and below I_2+I_3=I_4

Then the second law , I follow the two closed subchains clockwisely

first chain : -I_1R-I_3R = I_2R
second subchain : -I_4R+I_5R+I_3R = 0

regards
marlon

[tex] R_{eq}[/tex]=[tex]\frac{v}{i}[/tex] ...(1)

node 1 :
i + [tex]\frac{v_{1}-v}{R}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{v_{2}-v}{R}[/tex] = 0

i = [tex]\frac{-v_{1}-v_{2}+2R}{R}[/tex] ... (2)

node 2 :
[tex]\frac{v-v_{1}}{R}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{0-v_{1}}{2R}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{v_{2}-v_{1}}{R}[/tex] = 0

[tex]v_{2}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{-2v + 5v_{1}}{2}[/tex] ... (3)

node 3:

[tex]\frac{v_{1}-v_{2}}{R}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{0-v_{2}}{R}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{v-v_{2}}{R}[/tex] = 0

[tex]v_{1}[/tex] = -v + [tex]3v_{2}[/tex] ... (4)

Use (3) & (4) and substitute the answers into (1) get :

[tex]v_{2}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{7v}{13}[/tex]
[tex]v_{1}[/tex] =[tex]\frac{8v}{13}[/tex]
[tex]R_{eq}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{13R}{11}[/tex]

Node 1, 2 and 3 use Kirchoff's current law.

Last edited:
thanks to all of you for helping me out...

regards
marlon

you're welcome Marlon :wink: I love electronics :yuck:
:biggrin: :tongue2:

1. What is Kirchoff's Law?

Kirchoff's Law, also known as Kirchoff's Circuit Law or Kirchoff's Rules, is a fundamental principle in electrical engineering and physics that governs the behavior of electrical circuits. It states that the sum of currents entering a junction in a circuit must be equal to the sum of currents leaving the junction, and the sum of voltage drops around a closed loop in a circuit must be equal to the sum of voltage sources in that loop.

2. Why is Kirchoff's Law important?

Kirchoff's Law is important because it allows us to analyze and understand complex electrical circuits. By applying these rules, we can determine the voltage, current, and resistance at any point in the circuit, which is crucial for designing and troubleshooting electrical systems.

3. How do you calculate resistance using Kirchoff's Law?

To calculate resistance between two points using Kirchoff's Law, you need to first draw a circuit diagram and label all the components and their values. Then, apply Kirchoff's Law by writing the sum of currents entering and leaving each junction and the sum of voltage drops in each closed loop. Finally, use Ohm's Law (V=IR) to calculate the resistance between the two points.

4. Can Kirchoff's Law be applied to all types of circuits?

Yes, Kirchoff's Law can be applied to all types of circuits, including series, parallel, and complex circuits. It is a universal principle that applies to both DC and AC circuits.

5. Are there any limitations to Kirchoff's Law?

While Kirchoff's Law is a powerful tool for analyzing circuits, it does have some limitations. It assumes ideal conditions, such as no resistance in the wires and no fluctuation in voltage sources. In reality, these ideal conditions do not exist, so the calculations may not be 100% accurate. Additionally, Kirchoff's Law does not take into account the effects of magnetic fields, which can be significant in some circuits.