Help, Parametric and vector eqns of a lines

In summary, the conversation involves a student seeking help with parametric and vector equations of lines, specifically finding the angle of inclination and proving its relationship to the slope of the line. The conversation also includes a related thread and a suggestion to plot the line and use trigonometry to calculate the angle of inclination.
saady87
well, I am lost...im not sure if this goes in college or k-12, but I am in grade 12 in Canada...and I am learning here, so i guess I am at the right place,
any wyas...i need help, with parametric and vector eqns of lines, since I am failing this course horribly...my teacher sucks and marks hard and I don't get anything!...
so now for the questions

The angle ø, 0° < ø < 180°, That a line makes with the positive x-axis is called the angle of inclination of hte line.

A) find the angel of inclination of each of hte following lines.
_
i) r = (2,-6) + t(3,-4) ii) r = (6,1) + t(5,1)

B) prove that the tange of the angle of inclination is equal to the slope of hte line.

Physics news on Phys.org
that didnt help me even a remote bit...still lost...:(

Plot r(t) on a graph (t along the horizontal axis, r along the vertical axis).
Choose two values of t (say t=0 and t=1)
Evaluate r at t=0. That gives you a point P with coordinates (t,r)=( 0, r(0) ).
Evaluate r at t=1. That gives you a point Q with coordinates (t,r)=( 1, r(1) ).
Calculate the slope of the line segment PQ.

Now think of PQ as the hypotenuse of a right triangle,
with one leg parallel to the horizontal t-axis
and the other leg parallel to the vertical r-axis.
The angle of inclination is an angle of that triangle.
Use trigonometry to relate that angle to your triangle legs and the slope.

1. What is the difference between parametric and vector equations of a line?

The main difference between parametric and vector equations of a line is the way they represent points on a line. A parametric equation uses parameters, typically denoted by t, to represent the coordinates of points on a line. A vector equation uses vectors to represent points on a line, with the vector starting from a fixed point on the line and pointing in the direction of the line's slope.

2. How do you convert a parametric equation to a vector equation?

To convert a parametric equation to a vector equation, first set up a vector that starts at a fixed point on the line and points in the direction of the line's slope. Then, use the parameters in the parametric equation to represent the coordinates of points on the line. Finally, combine the vector and parameter representations to form the vector equation.

3. Can you solve a system of equations involving parametric and vector equations of a line?

Yes, it is possible to solve a system of equations involving both parametric and vector equations of a line. To do so, you would first need to convert both equations to the same form, either parametric or vector. Then, you can solve the system using standard methods such as substitution or elimination.

4. How do you graph parametric and vector equations of a line?

To graph a parametric equation of a line, you can plot points using different values of the parameter t and then connect them to create the line. For a vector equation, you can first graph the vector starting at a fixed point and pointing in the direction of the line's slope. Then, plot points along the line using multiples of the vector until the entire line is graphed.

5. What are some real-life applications of parametric and vector equations of a line?

Parametric and vector equations of a line are commonly used in engineering, physics, and computer graphics. They can be used to represent the motion of objects, such as the trajectory of a projectile or the path of a moving vehicle. They are also useful for creating 3D models and animations in computer graphics.