Does straight lines have slopes of tanget?

In summary, a straight line does have a slope of tangent, which is constant and can be found using the equation y = mx + c. This slope can be determined using two points, one point and the slope, or the slope and y-intercept. The general equation for a straight line in the cartesian plane is ax + by + c = 0, but it can be simplified to y = mx + c. The slope of a straight line is also the tangent of the angle it makes with the x-axis.
Tanya Back
Does straight lines have slopes of tangent?

Does straight lines have slopes of tangent?.. :confused: i had no clue when this question came on a test..so i just left it...do they?..i just thought maybe they didn't since they have no limit. Hope i get an answer for this question.

Tanya

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A straight line has the equation

[tex]y = mx + c[/tex]

here m is called its slope and c is the y-intercept. If you do not know, then this is a formula relating the y-coordinate of a point on the line to its x-coordinate (remember there must be a specific relationship between the x and y coordinates of a point if it moves on a well defined non-arbitrary curve...in this case the curve is a straight line).

A straight line does have a tangent also called its slope. The important thing is that the slope of a straight line is constant (unlike that of other curves which may change from point to point...draw a diagram of a circle to convince yourself that this is so). Secondly, only two parameters are required to fix a straight line:

1. Two points or
2. One point and the slope
3. Slope and y-intercept

The more general equation of a straight line in the cartesian plane is

ax + by + c = 0

but as you can see, it can be transformed into the form mentioned above using simple algebraic manipulations.

Cheers
Vivek

Every line is its own tangent line at each of its points.

I think what you mean is this: the slope of a straight line is the tangent of the angle the line makes with the x-axis. That is true.

Thank u guys! I understand much better now..i wish i had asked this question before the test ..oh well.. anyways Thank u

Tanya

1. What is the definition of a slope?

A slope is the measure of how steep a line is. It is represented by the ratio of the vertical change (rise) to the horizontal change (run) between two points on a line.

2. Can a straight line have a slope of 0?

Yes, a straight line with a slope of 0 is a horizontal line. This means that the line has no steepness and remains at the same height as it moves horizontally.

3. How is the slope of a straight line calculated?

The slope of a straight line is calculated by dividing the change in y-coordinates (rise) by the change in x-coordinates (run) between two points on the line. This can be represented by the formula m = (y2 - y1)/(x2 - x1), where m is the slope and (x1, y1) and (x2, y2) are two points on the line.

4. Is the slope of a straight line always the same?

Yes, the slope of a straight line is constant and remains the same throughout the entire line. This means that no matter which two points are chosen on the line, the slope will always be the same.

5. Can a straight line have an undefined slope?

No, a straight line cannot have an undefined slope. An undefined slope occurs when the denominator of the slope formula is equal to 0, which is not possible for a straight line. A line with an undefined slope would be a vertical line, which is not considered a straight line.