1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help Period of oscillation of the mass!

1. Nov 15, 2007 #1
    A mass which is resting on a horizontal frictionless surface is connected to a fixed spring. The mass is displaced 0.16 m from its equilibrium position and released. At t = 0.50 s, the mass is 0.08 m from its equilibrium position (and has not passed through it yet).

What is the period of oscillation of the mass?

I know I am suppose to put what I have done so far but I have given up with the trying. Could somebody please give me some guidance and explain please.

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can generally write the position of the mass wrt to equilibrium as x(t)=A*cos(omega*t+phi), where A is the maximum displacement and phi is the phase. Since you know you have maximum displacement at t=0 you can set phi=0 and A=0.16m. So x(t)=(0.16m)*cos(omega*t). Enough hints, now can you put the values at t=0.5 sec in and solve for omega? Knowing omega, can you figure out the period?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?