1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help : Perpendicular distance of the plane

1. Oct 27, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the perpendicular distance of the plane 5x+2y-z=-22 from the origin O by first finding the co-ordinates of the point P on the plane such that OP is perpendicular to the given plane.

2. Relevant equations
    It only given plane vector,how i going to figure out the perpendicular distance?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I really dont know where to start.Can help to elaborate?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2011 #2
    Set x and y equal to zero, solve for z. The perpendicular distance will be the absolute value of this number.

4. Oct 28, 2011 #3

You mean (X,Y.Z) = (0.0.Z)?Then minus the plane location?

5. Oct 28, 2011 #4

hotvette

Homework Helper

One option is to use Lagrange Multipliers to get the coordinates of the point by treating it as a minimization problem (i.e. distance from origin to an arbitrary point) with the constraint that the arbitrary point must lie on the plane. Hint: minimizing the square of the distance also minimizes the distance.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  6. Oct 28, 2011 #5

gneill

Staff: Mentor

You should be able to write a normal to the plane by inspection of the defining equation. Any line that is perpendicular to the plane must be parallel to this normal. So write a parametric equation of a line that passes through the origin that lies along this normal vector. Where does this line intersect the plane?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook