1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help please, power (piano pulled up by workers through pulley)

1. Oct 28, 2008 #1
    A 3.50 kN piano is lifted by 3 workers at constant speed to an apartment 25 m above ground. Each worker is able to deliver 165 W of power and the pulley is 75% efficient (25% lost due to friction on pulley). Neglecting mass of pulley, what is the time required to lift the piano from the street to the apartment.
    I know that F=T-mg=ma=0
    But I'm not really sure how to sort this problem out and incorporate the 75% efficiency of the pulley and the height above ground. Please help me.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not quite. You are equating work (units: Joules) with power (units: Watts) here, but they are not the same. And neither of those would equal force/time.

At any rate, 495W is the power exerted by the 3 people. So how much of that power gets transmitted to the piano? (hint: it is not 100% of the power)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?