What is the Identity of the Newly Discovered Material in the Australian Outback?

• Thread starter millys
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, a new material has been discovered in the outback of Australia that is solid and has a dull black color. It leaves silver-colored scratches when scratched with a diamond cutting blade and doesn't crack when hammered, but may dent if hit hard. The material conducts electricity when attached to crocodile clips and feels cold to the touch. After considering these properties, it can be concluded that the material is a metal due to its ability to conduct electricity. Non-metals such as carbon (graphite) and semiconductors are also conductive, but they are brittle and do not have the same properties as the material described. Further research on the properties of other materials could provide more evidence to support the conclusion that the material is a
millys
I am in year 8 and have a piece of home I do not understand the question is :

new material has been discovered i the outback of Australia. The material is solid and a dull black colour. Scratching with a diamond cutting blade leaves silver -coloured scratches. When hammeered the material does not crack but maybe dented if hit particularly hard. Attaching crocadile clips to the material shows that an electric current can flow through it. When picked up in the labatory the material feels cold to the touch.

Is this new material a metal or a non metal.

I think that it is a metal but I'm not sure. I have to list as many reasons why I think it is a metal or a non metal.

Thank you.

Milly

Physics news on Phys.org
Your right in thinking that it is a metal because the conduction part gives it away. the only non metals that conduct electricity are carbon (graphite) and semiconductors. All of these are brittle and do not have the same properties you described. If you wanted to be more accurate you could look up the properties of the other materials (eg. graphite is brittle) to show the reasons you concluded its a metal.

Thank you very much

I didn't realize that there was a homework section until after I had posted the question. So I will know another time

Thank you once again for your help and advice.

Milly x

FAQ: What is the Identity of the Newly Discovered Material in the Australian Outback?

1. What should I do if I don't understand the homework task?

If you are struggling with understanding the homework task, first try to read through it carefully and look for any key words or instructions that may help you better understand the assignment. If you are still having trouble, reach out to your teacher or professor for clarification. You can also try looking up relevant information online or consulting with classmates.

2. How much time should I spend on the homework task?

The amount of time you should spend on a homework task can vary depending on the complexity of the assignment and your individual learning style. It is important to give yourself enough time to fully understand and complete the task, but also to not spend an excessive amount of time on it. A good rule of thumb is to allocate about 1-2 hours for each subject's homework per day.

3. Can I ask for help from my classmates or friends on the homework task?

Collaborating with classmates or friends can be a helpful way to approach a homework task, as long as it is allowed by your teacher or professor. However, it is important to make sure that you are still actively contributing and not simply copying others' work. It is also important to give credit to your sources if you do use any outside help.

4. Should I do the homework task in a specific order?

This can depend on personal preference and the type of homework task. Some people may find it helpful to start with the easier or more enjoyable tasks first, while others may prefer to tackle the more difficult tasks first. It can also be useful to prioritize tasks based on their due dates. Ultimately, it is important to find an approach that works best for you.

5. What should I do if I am struggling to complete the homework task?

If you find yourself struggling with the homework task, first try to break it down into smaller, more manageable chunks. Set specific goals for each chunk and take breaks when needed. If you are still having trouble, don't hesitate to reach out to your teacher or professor for help. They may be able to provide additional resources or guidance to help you complete the task successfully.