1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help required homework task !

1. May 1, 2008 #1
    I am in year 8 and have a piece of home I do not understand the question is :

new material has been discovered i the outback of Australia. The material is solid and a dull black colour. Scratching with a diamond cutting blade leaves silver -coloured scratches. When hammeered the material does not crack but maybe dented if hit particularly hard. Attaching crocadile clips to the material shows that an electric current can flow through it. When picked up in the labatory the material feels cold to the touch.

Is this new material a metal or a non metal.

I think that it is a metal but I'm not sure. I have to list as many reasons why I think it is a metal or a non metal.

Thank you.

Milly

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2008 #2

madmike159

Gold Member

Your right in thinking that it is a metal because the conduction part gives it away. the only non metals that conduct electricity are carbon (graphite) and semiconductors. All of these are brittle and do not have the same properties you described. If you wanted to be more accurate you could look up the properties of the other materials (eg. graphite is brittle) to show the reasons you concluded its a metal.

4. May 1, 2008 #3
    Thank you very much

I didn't realise that there was a homework section until after I had posted the question. So I will know another time

Thank you once again for your help and advice.

Milly x

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?