1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help simplifying/checking integral

1. Aug 8, 2011 #1
    OK, so I'm just trying to refresh my calc knowledge before I go off to school. The problem I'm trying to do is:

[itex]\int sin(2x)tan^{-1}(sin(x))dx[/itex]

So what I've done is, first, replace sin(2x), giving:

[itex]\int 2cos(x)sin(x)tan^{-1}(sin(x))dx[/itex]

or

[itex]2\int cos(x)sin(x)tan^{-1}(sin(x))dx[/itex]

Then, I assume that sin(x) = u (and therefore, du = cos(x)dx). This gives me:

[itex]2\int utan^{-1}(u)du[/itex]

Then, I integrate by parts.

[itex]2\int utan^{-1}(u)du = 2(\frac{1}{2}u^{2}tan^{-1}(u)-\int \frac{u^{2}}{2+2u^{2}})[/itex]

or

[itex]2(\frac{1}{2}u^{2}tan^{-1}(u)-(\frac{u^{3}}{6}+\frac{u}{2}))[/itex]

Substituting back in for u gives me:

[itex]2(\frac{1}{2}sin^{2}(x)tan^{-1}(sin(x))-(\frac{sin^{3}(x)}{6}+\frac{sin(x)}{2}))[/itex]

Or, to simplify a little:

[itex]-\frac{sin^{3}(x)}{3}+tan^{-1}(sin(x))sin^{2}(x)-sin(x)[/itex]

My question is where do I go from here to simplify, and also if the work I've done up to this point is correct/on the right track (it's been a while since I took calc so go easy hahah). Just so you all know, I don't have an answer key for this problem so I'm working off of Wolfram Alpha's answer which is:

[itex]\frac{1}{2}((cos(2x)-3)(-tan^{-1}(sin(x)))-2sin(x)) + C [/itex]

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2011 #2
    There's an error from the integral on the right side of the top equation going to the line below it. Factor out a 2 from the denominator then try long division to make the integrand into something easier to integrate.

4. Aug 8, 2011 #3
    Ahh I knew it was something really dumb like that! Thanks, but new question now. For the long division, what answer should I be getting? Because trying to work it through I'm not getting the right answer. I get an answer of [itex]1-\frac{1}{u}[/itex] and the remainder but I can't get the remainder (unless its [itex]\frac{1}{u^{3}+u}[/itex]). The math doesn't seem to work when I check this can you help me out? Polynomial long division was always a weakness.

5. Aug 8, 2011 #4
    Whoops never mind I got it ([itex]1-\frac{1}{u^{2}+1}[/itex]) dumb mistake.

6. Aug 8, 2011 #5
    You can read about polynomial long division here
    http://www.sosmath.com/algebra/factor/fac01/fac01.html" [Broken]
    But if I can avoid it, I try not to use it...
    For problems like this, there's a trick so you don't have to use long division:[tex]\frac{u^2}{u^2 + 1} = \frac{u^2 + 1 - 1}{u^2 + 1} = \frac{u^2 + 1}{u^2 + 1} - \frac{1}{u^2 + 1} = 1 - \frac{1}{u^2 + 1}[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  7. Aug 8, 2011 #6
    OK so now I have:

[itex]2(\frac{1}{2}u^{2}tan^{-1}(u)-\frac{1}{2}(u-tan^{-1}(u))[/itex]

Or:

[itex](u^{2}+1)tan^{-1}(u)-u[/itex]

From here, I substitute sin(x) back in:

[itex](sin^{2}(x)+1)tan^{-1}(sin(x))-sin(x)[/itex]

Can I simplify more or am I still making a mistake? Thanks for all the help.

8. Aug 8, 2011 #7
    It's correct and probably as simplified as you can make it; just remember the + c :wink:

9. Aug 8, 2011 #8
    Hahah yes that darn + C :smile: Thanks for all your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook