Help Solve Induction Trouble Problem

• Thread starter AshleyF708
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Induction
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a wire loop and a long straight wire, and asks about the induced emf and current in the loop. The reasoning involves finding the magnetic field and using Lenz's law to determine the direction of the induced current. The conclusion is that there will be no emf induced at rest, and the current induced will flow in the opposite direction to the current in the wire.
AshleyF708
I think I might be confused on some conceptual issues on this problem as I can't really come up with a way to get a numerical answer on anything in this problem. Please help me with any guidance or clarification.

The Problem:

A square (2.3 cm on each side) wire loop lies 9.0 cm away from a long, straight wire. The square lies in the same plane as the long wire. The resistance of the wire in the loop is 79 ohms. The long wire carries a current of 6.8 A.
a.) What emf is induced in the loop when it's at rest?
b.) What direction is the current induced in the loop (also when at rest)?
c.) If the loop begins moving away from the wire, in what direction is the current induced in this loop?

My Reasoning/Attempt:

Well first I found the magnetic field created by the wire using the equation B = µ*I/(2*pi*0.09 m) and found that the magnetic field was 1.51 x 10^-5 T.
This is where I got stumped because I started thinking about the problem a little more.
For a.) I figured if there is no velocity since the loop is at rest even though there is a magnetic field there should be no emf. So am I right to say there is 0 V for the emf at rest?
For b.) I said there should be no current because there is no emf at rest so the current is 0 amps.
For c.) I said the current of the loop will be induced in the opposite direction as the current in the wire because current in wires of the opposite direction repel each other.

Does this reasoning look right or is there actually a numerical representation required for this question?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd say you're right. Since magnetic flux through the loop is a constant, no emf will be induced. As for the third question: Lanz' law says that the induced emf will be such that it opposes the change that caused it. After twisting my rigth for a while I, too, come to the conclusion that induced current will flow in the opposite direction..

Thank you for your help :)

Related to Help Solve Induction Trouble Problem

1. What is induction trouble problem?

Induction trouble problem refers to the difficulty in creating a strong and consistent electrical current using induction, which is the process of using a magnetic field to generate an electrical current in a conductor.

2. What causes induction trouble problem?

Induction trouble problem can be caused by a number of factors, including the presence of nearby magnetic fields, poor grounding or shielding, and circuit design issues.

3. How can induction trouble problem be solved?

Induction trouble problem can be solved by using proper shielding and grounding techniques, minimizing the distance between the induction source and the conductor, and carefully designing the circuit to reduce interference.

4. What are some common applications of induction?

Induction is commonly used in a variety of applications, including power generation, motors and generators, wireless charging, and induction heating.

5. How important is it to solve induction trouble problem?

Solving induction trouble problem is crucial in many industries and applications, as it ensures the efficient and reliable functioning of electrical systems and devices. Failure to address induction trouble problem can result in equipment malfunction, electrical hazards, and production delays.