HELP Tension/Friction Question

• Thread starter cclawfjj
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about finding the minimum mass M1 that will stick and not slip on a slope with given coefficients of friction and connected to a hanging mass. The solution involves setting up equations and solving for M1, but the person is having trouble with the approach and has asked for help multiple times.
cclawfjj
A block of mass M resting on a 19.1° slope is shown. The block has coefficients of friction μs=0.788 and μk=0.482 with the surface. It is connected via a massless string over a massless, frictionless pulley to a hanging block of mass 1.86 kg. What is the minimum mass M1 that will stick and not slip?

http://capa.physics.mcmaster.ca/figures/kn/Graph08/kn-pic0836.png

In terms of mass 1, following eqn can be written:

m1g sin 19.1 - T - Ff = 0

which can be rewritten as:

m1g sin 19.1 - T - m1g cos 19.1 (friction coefficient) = 0
right? since the object is at rest.
then i found T by equating it to m2g (T = m2g...see the diagram as to why i have donet this)

Hence m1g sin 19.1 - m2g - m1g cos 19.1 (0.788) = 0
and then solved for m1...but I am not getting the right answer
I don't understand why my approach is wrong...where did i go wrong here?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Here is the rule in this forums...

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=94379

please help, much appreciated

Plx

im literally bursting into tears right now, please
this question has been frustrating me for the last couple of days

Last edited:
ppl don't be so cruel, please!11

I've posted my solution and clearly demonstrated my attempt to resolve this question to no avail.

PLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
i beg you, you can have my undying gratitude

m1g sin 19.1 - T - Ff = 0

Apparently, you mess up the sign in Ff. When you are pulling the mass 1 uphill with tension T, the friction force shall point to the opposite to T.

1. What is tension and friction?

Tension is a force that is transmitted through a string, rope, cable, or wire when it is pulled tight by forces acting from opposite ends. Friction is a force that resists motion between two surfaces that are in contact with each other.

2. How are tension and friction related?

Tension and friction are both forces that act on objects and can affect their motion. They are related because tension can create friction between two surfaces, and friction can create tension in a rope or cable.

3. What are some real-life examples of tension and friction?

Examples of tension include a tightrope walker pulling on a rope to maintain balance, a weightlifter lifting a barbell, or a kite flying in the air. Examples of friction include rubbing your hands together to create heat, the brakes on a car stopping the wheels from turning, or the resistance of a pencil against paper when writing.

4. How can tension and friction be calculated?

Tension can be calculated using the formula T = F * sin(θ), where T is the tension force, F is the applied force, and θ is the angle between the string and the direction of the applied force. Friction can be calculated using the formula F = μN, where F is the friction force, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force between two surfaces.

5. What factors can affect tension and friction?

The amount of tension and friction can be affected by a variety of factors, such as the weight of the object, the surface area of contact between two surfaces, the roughness of the surfaces, and the coefficient of friction between the two surfaces. Other factors may include external forces, such as wind or gravity, and the angle or direction of the applied force.