Help to find a simple setup for optical surface topography

In summary: CD. Just be aware that it is not on the surface and you may need to deal with the multiple reflections in the plastic layer.Can you give me more specific details about what you want to do? What is your intended use for the data?Thanks for your help.In summary, I am looking for help from someone expert in optics to create an inteferometry based setup to map the surface of a small object. This is for a small lab project so I'm not looking for a really complex setup, I just need something simple that can be built in a short amount of time. I'd like to find resources that explains all stages of the process like the actual
FrodCube
Hi everyone.

I'm looking for some help from someone expert in optics to create an inteferometry based setup to map the surface of a small object. This is for a small lab project so I'm not looking for a really complex setup, I just need something simple that can be built in a short amount of time.

I'd like to find resources that explains all stages of the process like the actual building, noise reduction and data analysis.

Keep in mind that me and my lab group have basically no experience in this field at all. If you need more details about what I want to do please ask and I'll try to explain it,

Thanks for your help.

Science news on Phys.org
FrodCube said:
Hi everyone.

I'm looking for some help from someone expert in optics to create an inteferometry based setup to map the surface of a small object. This is for a small lab project so I'm not looking for a really complex setup, I just need something simple that can be built in a short amount of time.

I'd like to find resources that explains all stages of the process like the actual building, noise reduction and data analysis.

Keep in mind that me and my lab group have basically no experience in this field at all. If you need more details about what I want to do please ask and I'll try to explain it,

Thanks for your help.
Welcome to the PF.

I've sent a link to this thread to a friend of mine who may be able to help. :smile:

BTW, have you looked for such a resource near you? Are you at a university or near one?

Thank you.

Yes I am at a university. This is for a lab course and my professor is actually in the Virgo collaboration, so he knows quite a lot about interferometry. Of course we asked him but he said that he doesn't know very much about this kind of application, he has no simple resources to give us and also he thinks that this would probably be too difficult for us. That's why I'm asking this: I want to know if this is possible to do in an easy way because this was our initial idea for our project.

Browsing through the web I found papers on the subject but most of them are from a theoretical point of view and they only explain the basic principles behind this without actually discussing the practical implementation and some of them are way too advanced for us.

How small is the object? Can you just use stereo video analysis to map it instead of interferometry?

FrodCube said:
Hi everyone.

Thanks for your help.

What size is the object, and how would you characterize the surface roughness? For example, the surface of a small ball bearing is very smooth but not flat; the surface of sandpaper is flat but not smooth. Is the surface reflective or absorptive? How accurately and precisely do you need to quantify the surface?

Reflection Differential Interference Contrast imaging (https://www.microscopyu.com/articles/dic/reflecteddic.html) is by far my favorite method to image surfaces- the local slope is encoded in color, and the images are quite striking. However, the surface needs to be reflective and nearly flat.

Likes berkeman
Our first idea was to see the surface of a cd-ROM to get something like this:

Compact_disk_data_layer_2d_3d.PNG

The main point is that since we are doing this for a lab course, we should design and assemble most of the setup ourself.

We were thinking about interferometry since we've already built one and we can sort of make it work.

What you see here is not the surface of a CD but of the inner aluminum layer. It may be an AFM image.
You need to peel one of the plastic halves to get this by AFM.
You may be able to get a similar image by optical means without destroying the CD. Just be aware that it is not on the surface and you may need to deal with the multiple reflections in the plastic layer.

nasu said:
What you see here is not the surface of a CD but of the inner aluminum layer. It may be an AFM image.
You need to peel one of the plastic halves to get this by AFM.
You may be able to get a similar image by optical means without destroying the CD. Just be aware that it is not on the surface and you may need to deal with the multiple reflections in the plastic layer.

Yeah we considered that. We thougth of someway removing the plastic coating and perform the measurement only on the metal layer that has the bumps

FrodCube said:
Our first idea was to see the surface of a cd-ROM to get something like this:

The main point is that since we are doing this for a lab course, we should design and assemble most of the setup ourself.

We were thinking about interferometry since we've already built one and we can sort of make it work.

I'll try a few different reflection imaging methods when I get back to my lab on Monday and post what I get. The plastic is probably going to cause a few problems... we'll see.

Likes berkeman
As I suspected, this is not trivial. The plastic prevents use of DIC, and the thickness of the plastic largely prevents use of high-NA lenses needed to resolve the features. Here's the best of what I could get, using a CD-ROM, because it has the largest feature sizes. I located the border between recorded and blank tracks for these images:

This is using a 63x dipping objective, broadband source:

63x_leica_zpsvicer84v.jpg

This is using a 16x objective, reflected DIC, with the prism shoved all the way to one side and the aperture stop nearly closed to enhance contrast:

16_DIC_zps8uoigkdu.jpg

And lastly, a 16x darkfield objective:

16_dark_zpsr0yfnljr.jpg

None of these qualify as "simple and cheap"-mostly because the required mechanical stability and precision is very high (submicron). And the results are not quantitative.

Likes FrodCube and berkeman

1. What is optical surface topography?

Optical surface topography is a technique used to measure the surface structure of an object or material at a microscopic level. It involves using light to create images and measurements of surface features such as roughness and texture.

2. Why is optical surface topography important?

Optical surface topography plays a crucial role in many scientific and industrial applications. It can provide information about the quality and performance of materials, help with product development, and aid in understanding surface interactions and processes.

3. What types of equipment are needed for optical surface topography?

The basic setup for optical surface topography includes a light source, a microscope or camera, and a computer for image analysis. Depending on the specific application, additional equipment such as lasers, detectors, and specialized lenses may be required.

4. How does optical surface topography compare to other surface measurement techniques?

Optical surface topography offers several advantages over other techniques such as contact profilometry or scanning electron microscopy. It is non-destructive, non-contact, and can provide high-resolution images and measurements in a relatively short time.

5. Are there any limitations to optical surface topography?

While optical surface topography is a powerful tool, there are some limitations to consider. It may not be suitable for measuring highly reflective or transparent surfaces, and the accuracy of measurements can be affected by factors such as surface texture and material properties.