Help Tried Several Times, but Can't Get Correct Solution

• Thread starter tjbateh
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves three vectors with a magnitude of 42 m and their directions relative to the positive direction of the x-axis, which are 29°, 197°, and 314°, respectively. The question asks for the magnitude and angle of the vector a + b + c, and the magnitude and angle of vector a - b + c. It also asks for the magnitude and angle of a fourth vector d that would make the equation (a + b) - (c + d) = 0 true. The attempt at a solution involves using the Cos and Sin functions to calculate the components, but the person is having trouble and is requesting step-by-step guidance.
tjbateh

Homework Statement

Three vectors a ,b c, and each have a magnitude of 42 m and lie in an xy plane. Their directions relative to the positive direction of the x-axis are 29°, 197°, and 314°, respectively. What are (a) the magnitude and (b) the angle of the vector a + b + c, and (c) the magnitude and (d) the angle of a -b + c? What are (e) the magnitude and (f) the angle of a fourth vector d such that (a +b ) - ( c+ d) = 0?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Show your work, so that we may see where you are having trouble!

I have put the vectors in their respective places, and have tried calculating the components using the Cos and Sin functions. However, I get stuck there. I have not really came to any answers. I don't think I have the full grasp of this material yet. Hoping someone could show me how to do this step by step. That would be wonderful.

What is the most common reason for not being able to find a correct solution?

The most common reason for not being able to find a correct solution is not having enough information or not fully understanding the problem. It is important to carefully read and analyze the problem before attempting to find a solution.

Why is it important to try multiple times when solving a problem?

Trying multiple times allows for a better understanding of the problem and can lead to different approaches and solutions. It also allows for the identification and correction of any mistakes made in previous attempts.

How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

To improve problem-solving skills, it is important to practice and constantly challenge oneself with new and difficult problems. It is also helpful to break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts and to seek feedback and guidance from others.

What should I do if I feel stuck and can't find a solution?

If you feel stuck, take a break and come back to the problem with a fresh perspective. It may also be helpful to discuss the problem with others or seek out additional resources for assistance.

What steps should I take to ensure I am on the right track to finding a correct solution?

To ensure you are on the right track, double check your work and make sure it aligns with the given information and constraints. It may also be helpful to solve the problem using a different method or approach to confirm your solution.