Help Uncertainity principle problem

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the limit of accuracy for locating a particle along the x-axis, given the uncertainty principle. The individual is asking for help in finding the delta(x) value, and is given a hint to calculate the deltaP using the given mass and deltaV. The conversation also briefly touches on the concept of mass density and its relationship to measuring mass and volume.
indiepunkband
in my problem i am told
that the x-component of the velocity of a 2x10^-4 kg mass is measured to an accuracy of +_ 10^-6 m/s.
i need to find the limit of the accuracy with which the particle can be located along the x-axis.

the uncertainity principle
delta(x) * delta(Px)>= h/4pi
i have delta(Vx) and i need delta(x)
help please

Physics news on Phys.org
this is not homework sub-forum, here we post general questions about QM.

someone will move this thread to the right sub-forum, just so know in the future.

Also you need to show some work before you get help.

but I can give you a hint: calculate the deltaP, you have mass and deltaV, it is straightforward.

If black holes are described as having no volume of space, yet they are 'mass" via density.
Mass density= MASS per VOLUME of SPACE.
So, density = mass per volume, & in order to MEASURE the density of something is to measure its MASS, then measure its VOLUME then divide MASS/VOLUME.

Why does there seem to be a contradiction?

1. What is the Uncertainty Principle?

The Uncertainty Principle, also known as Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle, is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics that states that it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of a subatomic particle at the same time.

2. How does the Uncertainty Principle affect scientific research?

The Uncertainty Principle has significant implications for scientific research, particularly in the field of quantum mechanics. It means that we can never have complete knowledge or control over the behavior of subatomic particles, which can make predicting their behavior and outcomes challenging.

3. Who developed the Uncertainty Principle?

The Uncertainty Principle was first proposed by German physicist Werner Heisenberg in 1927. Heisenberg's work revolutionized the field of quantum mechanics and earned him a Nobel Prize in Physics in 1932.

4. Can the Uncertainty Principle be applied to macroscopic objects?

The Uncertainty Principle is primarily applicable to subatomic particles and does not have a significant impact on macroscopic objects. The effects of the Uncertainty Principle are only noticeable at the quantum level, where the behavior of particles is governed by different physical laws.

5. How does the Uncertainty Principle relate to the concept of wave-particle duality?

The Uncertainty Principle is closely related to the concept of wave-particle duality, which states that particles can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior. The Uncertainty Principle explains this phenomenon by stating that the more precisely we know the position of a particle, the less we know about its momentum, and vice versa.