Help understanding 'back emf'

In summary, when the motor is running, the voltage is generated in the rotor and the back emf is added to this. The current then becomes V_ab/r only when the back emf goes to zero.
navm1

Homework Statement

A series dc motor:[/B] A dc motor with its rotor and field coils connected in series has an internal resistance of 2.00 Ω. When running at full load on a 120-V line, it draws a current of 4.00 A.

a) What is the emf in the rotor?
b) What is the power delivered to the motor?
c) What is the rate of dissipation of energy in the resistance of the motor?
d) What is the mechanical power developed?
e)What is the efficiency of the motor?
f)What happens if the machine that the motor is driving jams and the rotor suddenly stops turning?

Homework Equations

Vab = E + Ir,
P = I^2r

The Attempt at a Solution

This is a worked example in my textbook so the answers are all there but I'm finding it challenging to understand what is actually going on with some of the equations.

what exactly is the back emf and why am I adding it to Ir?

why does the current become V_ab/r only when the back emf goes to zero? what would be in the equation
I=v_ab/r if the back emf was still there?

would appreciate help with any of these questions and maybe an explanation of what is actually going on here. thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The motor rotates. As a result, there are wires cutting through a magnetic field. This generates a voltage, according to Faraday's Law, and this is opposite to the applied voltage. The current that flow depends on the net voltage.
There are many analogues to this relationship. You can think of the back EMF as like inertia in kinetics, and the resistance like friction.
In chemistry, there's Le Chatelier's principle.

thank you. how come the emf and Ir are added together in this case and not subtracted if they are opposite? then when the motor stalls the total voltage of 120v is used in the equation? was it 8 before?

navm1 said:
thank you. how come the emf and Ir are added together in this case and not subtracted if they are opposite?
No, I said it opposes the applied voltage. Ir is then what's left after subtracting the back EMF from the applied EMF.
navm1 said:
then when the motor stalls the total voltage of 120v is used in the equation? was it 8 before?
Was what 8 before?

1. What is back emf?

Back emf, or back electromotive force, is a phenomenon that occurs in electric motors and generators. It is the voltage that is induced in the opposite direction to the current flow when the magnetic field in the motor or generator changes.

2. Why is it important to understand back emf?

Understanding back emf is important because it affects the performance and efficiency of electric motors and generators. It can also cause damage to these devices if not properly managed.

3. How does back emf affect motor speed?

Back emf has an inverse relationship with motor speed. As the motor speed increases, the back emf also increases, which causes the motor to draw less current and therefore slow down.

4. What factors affect the magnitude of back emf?

The magnitude of back emf is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the speed of the motor, and the number of turns in the motor's coil. It is also influenced by the type of material used for the motor's core.

5. How is back emf managed in electric motors?

Back emf is managed in electric motors by using components such as diodes, transistors, or capacitors to regulate the voltage and prevent damage to the motor. Additionally, motor speed controllers can be used to adjust the motor's speed and manage the back emf.