Help w/ Checking Answers to Evolution Homework Questions

• Thread starter brdmadgrl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Evolution
In summary, the conversation is about the concept of natural selection and the effect of alleles on the population. The speakers discuss the relationship between alleles and reproductive success, the random nature of allele frequency changes, and the role of natural selection in determining which alleles become more or less common. They also touch on the idea of phenotypes and their impact on allele frequency, with one speaker questioning the role of alleles in determining the success or failure of phenotypes.
brdmadgrl
Can you please help me with checking my answers to Evolution homework? It's in a take-home quiz format. I always second guess myself with these types of questions. Thank you in advance!

1) Over time, alleles that are most beneficial to individual fitness will increase in frequency in the population while less beneficial forms of the same gene (i.e. less beneficial alleles at the same locus) decrease in frequency.

My answer to this question was true because if the alleles control reproductive success then they must decrease in frequency over time. Am I thinking about this right?

2) Alleles decrese and increase in frequency at random, whether one becomes more common or less in a population has nothing to do with the effect of the allele on the survival or reproductive success of its owners.

My answer: I believe this is false. While alleles control the phenotype, couldn't this effect survival and reproductive success if let's say the alleles for XY chromosome increased and they because the only one in the group where the species could no longer reproduce
(thinking about a fly example where they died out).

3) Natural selection is the relative success of individuals within populations that determines which alleles will become more common and which become less common. Relative success of populations and of different species have a much weaker effect on changes in allele frequencies

My answer: true because it occurs at a genetic level. however, it could be false if based on adaptation of species to their environment that can alter allele frequency in a population? I am not sure i am understanding this question correctly.

4) Although the end result of natural selection is to change allele frequencies in populations, the change in allele frequencies is result of success or failure of different kinds of phenotypes. Alleles that are most beneficial to survival and reproduction of phenotypes are those that will increase in the population

My answer: false?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think this is false because alleles don't determine the success or failure of phenotypes, but rather the phenotype will experience life-history traits that will affect its fitness.

1. How can I check my answers to evolution homework questions?

One way to check your answers is to use reputable online resources such as scientific articles, textbooks, or educational websites. You can also ask your teacher or classmates for help.

2. What should I do if I am not sure about my answers?

If you are unsure about your answers, you can do additional research or consult with your teacher. It is important to understand the concepts and evidence behind the answers rather than just getting the correct answer.

3. Can I use online sources to check my answers?

Yes, you can use online sources to check your answers. However, make sure to use reputable sources and double check the information to ensure accuracy.

4. Is it important to check my answers for evolution homework questions?

Yes, it is important to check your answers to ensure that you have a good understanding of the concepts and evidence related to evolution. It can also help you identify any areas where you may need further clarification or review.

5. What should I do if I find a mistake in my answers?

If you find a mistake in your answers, you should correct it and try to understand where you went wrong. If you are unsure, you can ask your teacher or a classmate for help. It is important to learn from mistakes and improve your understanding of the subject.