Understanding the Quadruple Angle Identity for Cosine

Can you explain?In summary, the goal is to simplify the expression cos(4θ). Using the equations cos(2θ)=2cos^2(θ)-1 and sin(2θ)=2sinθcosθ, the given expression can be rewritten as 2cos^2(2θ)-1. By substituting cos(2θ) with 2cos^2(θ)-1, we get 2(2cos^2(θ)-1)^2-1, which simplifies to 8cos^4(θ)-8cos^2(θ)+1. Therefore, the simplified expression for cos(4θ) is 8cos^4(θ)-8cos^2(θ)+
physicsgeek54

Homework Statement

Simplify: cos(4θ)

Homework Equations

cos(2θ)=2cos^2(θ)-1
sin(2θ)=2sinθcosθ

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I broke it into cos(2θ+2θ). Then I expanded it and got cos(2θ)cos(2θ)-sin(2θ)sin(2θ). I then expanded that and got (4cos^4(θ)-4cos^2(θ)+1)-(4sin^2(θ)+4sin(θ)cos(θ)+cos^2). I was supposed to get 8cos^4(θ)-8cos^2(θ)+1. I see that I'm off but I don't know where I went wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
from your work:

the term (4sin^2(θ)+4sin(θ)cos(θ)+cos^2) isn't right for sin^2(2x) = (2sin(x)cos(x))^2 = 4 sin^2(x)cos^2(x)

a simpler derivation would be:

cos(4x) = 2 cos^2(2x) - 1 right?

next we look at the cos(2x) factor: cos(2x) = 2cos^2(x) -1

and plug back into the 2cos^2(2x) - 1

Last edited:
Oh, thanks for catching my mistake. I think I can figure it out now but I don't see how you got from cos(4x) to 2 cos^2(2x)-1.

What is a quad angle identity?

A quad angle identity is a mathematical equation that relates the trigonometric functions (sine, cosine, tangent) of a sum or difference of four angles to the trigonometric functions of each individual angle.

What are the quad angle identities?

The quad angle identities are:

• Sine quad angle identity: sin(A + B + C + D) = sinAcosBcosCcosD + cosAsinBcosCcosD + cosAcosBsinCcosD + cosAcosBcosCsinD - sinAcosBsinCsinD - cosAsinBsinCsinD - cosAcosBsinCsinD + cosAcosBcosCcosD
  • Cosine quad angle identity: cos(A + B + C + D) = cosAcosBcosCcosD - sinAsinBcosCcosD - sinAcosBsinCcosD - sinAcosBcosCsinD - cosAsinBsinCsinD - cosAsinBcosCsinD + sinAcosBsinCsinD + cosAsinBcosCcosD
  • Tangent quad angle identity: tan(A + B + C + D) = (tanA + tanB + tanC + tanD) / (1 - tanAtanB - tanAtanC - tanAtanD)

How are quad angle identities used?

Quad angle identities are used in trigonometry to simplify or solve equations involving multiple angles. They can also be used to prove other trigonometric identities.

What is the difference between a quad angle identity and a double angle identity?

A quad angle identity relates four angles to each other, while a double angle identity relates two angles to each other. In other words, a quad angle identity involves the sum or difference of four angles, while a double angle identity involves the product of two angles.

Can quad angle identities be proven?

Yes, quad angle identities can be proven using algebra and the definitions of trigonometric functions. They can also be derived from other trigonometric identities, such as the sum and difference identities.