Help with a creative writing piece (not homework)

In summary, the conversation revolves around a science fiction piece where the main character is on a spaceship traveling inside a pocket dimension, allowing it to move faster than the speed of light. The conundrum is how the ship can use long range sensors to analyze star systems while inside the pocket dimension. The community offers some theories, such as using radiation signals or a passive sensor, but ultimately concludes that it may require some major technological magic. The goal is to limit liberties with the laws of physics and establish a sense of realism in the story.
trickofthehan
Hello all, I would like some insight regarding a creative writing piece I am working on. As I stated on my topic this is not homework, it is an independent science fiction piece I've been working on for some time.

I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong forum, and would appreciate direction to the proper forum if it is in violation of forum rules/guidelines.

My conundrum involves the use of long range sensors on a ship that is moving faster than the speed of light. Personal disclaimer: I have a general knowledge of physics but am in no means an expert and am taking fictional liberties (many apologies!).

To be more exact; my fictional spaceship is traveling inside a pocket dimension which allows it to then move faster than the speed of light through conventional means (Ion engines). I thought this to be the most 'realistic' form of FTL travel that allows my ship to circumvent traditional laws of relativity. I also figured that it neatly avoided the issue of running into a speck of dust at several times the speed of light (big bang part 2?).

So my problem is that I require a way for the ship to be able to use spectography to analyze star systems it approaches, while inside of the dimensional bubble. This ability is vital to my work as it is key to conveying the main character's growing sense of futility in his mission, which he hides physically from the rest of his crew.

I cannot simply have the ship drop out of it's 'bubble', as it's already established that it takes it approximately 15 months to generate enough power to create this effect in the first place. Also the ship cannot afford to constantly drop in and out of spin drive because of concerns involving maintenance and economy of resources.

I apologize for being so vauge, but I am looking at a potential publisher and can't afford to be too liberal with the details of my work. Also I realize that I am taking several liberties with the laws of physics in general, but I would like to limit those liberties and establish every technology and aspect of my fictional ship in as much reality as possible.

With that in mind, does this community have any thoughts on how a ship operating inside a pocket dimension might be able to still conduct long range spectrography? I would really like to avoid 'magical and mystical' futuristic technology that just makes stuff work. Seems like a cop out to me.

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
hmm... well, I should start by saying that we really can't offer much more than speculation here. Physics is a carefully constructed logical framework and once you break one rule (like the speed-of-light limit) or invent one new concept (like pocket dimensions), there's no telling how much else of physics you'll have to discard to get a consistent system.

Anyway, just for the fun of it, let's see if I understand you correctly: basically you're saying that the ship does its FTL travel by shifting to some sort of alternate spacetime (the "pocket dimension"), travels a while, then shifts back to ordinary space at a point which is further away than it should have been able to travel in that time? If that's the case, there has to be some way for the radiation signals from the ship in the pocket dimension to get to the star system and back. Sometimes the argument is made that radiation can do things which normal matter can't (like in Stargate, radio signals can travel in both directions through a wormhole), so you might try to justify that somehow. Or the ship could have some sort of a passive sensor that picks up ambient radiation emitted/absorbed/deflected by the star system being scanned. (I guess that would make sense for spectrography) In that case I think you'd need some sort of device that could bring the radiation into the pocket dimension from the normal universe. The trouble is, a ship that's in a pocket dimension can't really have a well-defined notion of position in the normal universe at the same time, so you'd have to invent some method of specifying what location in normal space this device would be taking radiation from.

To be honest, I really don't see this working without some sort of major technological magic. But perhaps that's why I'm a scientist and not a science fiction writer myself :wink:

Hello there,

It sounds like you have put a lot of thought and effort into your science fiction piece, and I commend you for wanting to make it as realistic as possible. I can understand your desire to stay true to the laws of physics while also incorporating fictional elements.

In terms of your conundrum with long range sensors on a ship moving faster than the speed of light, I have a few suggestions that may help. One option could be to have the ship equipped with advanced technology that allows it to project an "energy field" or barrier around the ship as it travels through the pocket dimension. This field could act as a protective shield against any potential debris or particles that the ship may encounter, while also allowing for the use of long range sensors.

Another option could be to have the ship equipped with advanced software or artificial intelligence that can analyze and interpret data from the long range sensors in real time, without the need for the ship to physically stop or drop out of the pocket dimension. This could also add an interesting element to your story, as the main character could potentially rely on this technology to guide their decisions and actions.

Overall, my advice would be to think outside the box and be creative with your solutions. While staying true to the laws of physics is important, science fiction also allows for some flexibility and imagination. I wish you the best of luck with your writing and potential publishing opportunities.

1. What is creative writing?

Creative writing is a form of writing that is focused on expressing thoughts, feelings, and emotions in an imaginative way. It allows writers to use their creativity and imagination to tell stories, convey ideas, and create vivid images through words.

2. How can I improve my creative writing skills?

To improve your creative writing skills, it is important to practice regularly. You can also read a lot, experiment with different writing styles and techniques, and seek feedback from others. It is also helpful to join a writing group or take a creative writing course to receive guidance and support.

3. Can you give me some tips for writing a good creative piece?

Sure! Firstly, it is important to have a clear idea of what you want to write about and who your target audience is. Next, focus on creating interesting and well-developed characters, using descriptive language to set the scene, and incorporating conflict and tension to keep readers engaged. Lastly, be open to feedback and keep revising and editing your work until you are satisfied with the final product.

4. How can I overcome writer's block?

Writer's block can be frustrating, but there are a few ways to overcome it. One way is to take a break and do something else to clear your mind. You can also try writing prompts, brainstorming ideas, or free writing to get your creative juices flowing. Another helpful tip is to create a writing routine and stick to it, as this can help you stay motivated and productive.

5. Do I need to have a lot of experience to write creatively?

No, anyone can write creatively! While some people may have more experience or natural talent, creative writing is a skill that can be honed and developed over time. The most important thing is to have a passion for writing and a willingness to learn and improve.