Proving the Mapping f:S^2\times \mathbb{R} \rightarrow S^2

• Thread starter cristo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary: Ahh, ok I understand what you mean now. I think the proof probably is reversible, but have no clue as to how to show it! Can you give a hint?
cristo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I wonder if anyone can help with this question. It's a part of a Differential Geometry exam question which I can't get!

A map [itex]\mathbb{R}^3 \times \mathbb{R} \rightarrow \mathbb{R}^3 [/itex] is defined by

[tex] ((x,y,z),t) \longmapsto \left( \frac{x}{z\sinh t+\cosh t},\frac{y}{z\sinh t+\cosh t},\frac{z\cosh t+\sinh t}{z\sinh t+\cosh t}\right) [/tex]

Show that this determines a mapping [itex] f:S^2\times \mathbb{R} \rightarrow S^2 [/itex].

I tried substituiting polar coordinates for S2 in place of (x,y,z) in the above function. Then I figured that if the function's image is a subset of S2, then the coordinates must satisfy [itex]z=\sqrt{1-x^2-y^2}[/itex]. However, I can't get this to work, and so it's probably not the correct method!

Any help/hints would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the target space of your mapping is [itex]{\mathbold R}^3[/itex]. Can you show that the range of your mapping is an ordinary round sphere in that space?

If you don't see it yet, try this: I give you the coordinates of a curve [itex](x,y,z)(t)[/itex], how could you show that the curve lies on a sphere [itex]x^2 +y^2 + z^2 = 1[/itex], if it does?

Well, if the curve lies on the sphere, then it must satisfy the equation [itex]x^2 +y^2 + z^2 = 1[/itex]. So would I just square the components on the RHS of the expression for the mapping above, and show that they sum to 1? However, the terms contain x,y,z- i.e. it is not expressed explicitly in t so I'm not sure this would work.

Sorry, I'm sure there's something really basic here that I'm just not seeing!

ACtually, I think I've got it. We want [tex]\left(\frac{x}{z\sinh t+\cosh t}\right)^2 + \left(\frac{y}{z\sinh t+\cosh t}\right)^2+\left(\frac{z\cosh t+\sinh t}{z\sinh t+\cosh t}\right)^2=1 [/tex]

So, [tex]x^2+y^2+(z\cosh t+\sinh t)^2=(z\sinh t+\cosh t)^2[/tex]

Expanding and simplifying this gives [itex]x^2+y^2+z^2=1[/itex], and so the range of the mapping is on the sphere.

Is this right?

cristo said:
ACtually, I think I've got it. We want [tex]\left(\frac{x}{z\sinh t+\cosh t}\right)^2 + \left(\frac{y}{z\sinh t+\cosh t}\right)^2+\left(\frac{z\cosh t+\sinh t}{z\sinh t+\cosh t}\right)^2=1 [/tex]

So, [tex]x^2+y^2+(z\cosh t+\sinh t)^2=(z\sinh t+\cosh t)^2[/tex]

Expanding and simplifying this gives [itex]x^2+y^2+z^2=1[/itex], and so the range of the mapping is on the sphere.

Is this right?

Not quite -- that's the converse of what you want to show. Is this proof reversible?

Hurkyl said:
Not quite -- that's the converse of what you want to show. Is this proof reversible?

I think so. Surely a curve lies on S2 if and only if it satisfies the equation [itex]x^2+y^2+z^2=1[/itex]. How would I show this?

Last edited:
cristo said:
I think so. Surely a curve lies on S2 if and only if it satisfies the equation [itex]x^2+y^2+z^2=1[/itex]. How would I show this?
I think you have misunderstood.

What you have shown is that if f(P, t) lies on the sphere, then P lies on the sphere.

But your goal was to prove that if P lies on the sphere, then f(P, t) lies on the sphere.

Hurkyl said:
I think you have misunderstood.

What you have shown is that if f(P, t) lies on the sphere, then P lies on the sphere.

But your goal was to prove that if P lies on the sphere, then f(P, t) lies on the sphere.

Ahh, ok I understand what you mean now. I think the proof probably is reversible, but have no clue as to how to show it! Can you give a hint? Sorry to be a pain!

1. What is a function on S^2?

A function on S^2 is a mathematical representation that maps every point on a sphere (S^2) to a unique value. It can be described as a rule that assigns each element on the surface of a sphere a specific output.

2. How do I find the domain and range of a function on S^2?

The domain of a function on S^2 is the set of all possible input values or points on the sphere. The range is the set of all possible output values. To find the domain and range, you can use a graphing calculator or plot points on a graph to visualize the function.

3. Can a function on S^2 have multiple inputs?

No, a function on S^2 can only have one input for each output. This is because each point on the sphere can only be mapped to one specific value. However, a function on S^2 can have multiple outputs for the same input, depending on the complexity of the function.

4. How do I graph a function on S^2?

To graph a function on S^2, you can use spherical coordinates (longitude and latitude) to plot points on a 3D graph. Alternatively, you can use software or online tools that allow you to input the function and automatically generate a graph for you.

5. Can I apply calculus to a function on S^2?

Yes, you can apply calculus to a function on S^2, just like any other function. However, the calculations may be more complex due to the curvature of the sphere. It is important to use spherical coordinates and understand the properties of the sphere to accurately perform calculus operations on a function on S^2.