Help Proving (dy/dx)=1/(dx/dy)

• Thread starter danerape
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the inverse function theorem says that if a function is continuously differentiable and has a derivative on some open set, then there exists a function that is inverse to the original function.
danerape
How does one go about rigorously proving that (dy/dx)=1/(dx/dy)?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
and vice-versa of course

Good question. To answer that, first ask yourself, what do you mean by [itex] \frac{dy}{dx} [/itex]? What do you mean by [itex] \frac{dx}{dy} [/itex]?

I recommend looking at this post. https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=63886 (it's the same as your question)

how can y=f(x) define y implicitly? that seems explicit.

the above is in regard to the link provided

You need to show some more effort here, per the forum rules. We're not here to do your homework for you.

This isn't for homework. Here is my attempt at a proof.

1.Say we are given a function y=f(x)

2.Differentiate implicit w.r.t. y and we see...

1=(df/dx)(dx/dy)

3. Now we can solve for the derivative of our choice!

Now, my question is...

Dosen't the result of 2(implicit differentiation) imply that we thought of y=f(x) as y=f(x(y))? In other words,
implicit diff stems from the chain rule right? So, dosen't that mean that the proof above is not general, in other
words, what if I can't solve y=f(x) for x as a function of y explicitly? Then I can't say y=f(x) is the same as y=f(x(y))
and obtain the right side of 2 which results from the chain rule.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
danerape said:
...what if I can't solve y=f(x) for x as a function of y explicitly?

Have you ever heard of the inverse function theorem? I will summarize it for a function of one variable, since the formulation is a bit easier. The theorem effectively says that if you have a function [itex]f:A\subset \mathbb{R}\rightarrow \mathbb{R} [/itex] which is differentiable and has a continuous derivative on some open set [itex] A [/itex], and [itex] f'(a)\neq 0 [/itex] at some point [itex] a\in A[/itex], then [itex] f^{-1} [/itex] exists and is defined in some neighbourhood of [itex] a [/itex].

In the context of your problem, this means that as long as [itex] f [/itex] is [itex]C^1 [/itex], and its derivative isn't zero one the whole domain, then SOMEWHERE in its domain, [itex]f[/itex] is invertible. Suppose that [itex] f [/itex] is invertible on [itex] U\subset A [/itex] as above. Then we have a function [itex] f^{-1} : f(U)\rightarrow A [/itex] which satisfies [itex] f^{-1}(f(x))=x [/itex] for all [itex] x \in U [/itex].

In conclusion, if [itex] f(x)=y [/itex], then so long as [itex]y[/itex] is in [itex] f(U) [/itex], we have [itex] x=f^{-1}(y) [/itex].

In short... you can always solve [itex] y=f(x) [/itex] for [itex] x [/itex] as a function of [itex] y [/itex] somewhere, as long as [itex] f [/itex] is continuously differentiable and isn't a constant function.

Last edited:
Well.. A neat lil trick you can do is (given f^-1=g), f(g(x))=x, derivative of bother sides is f'(g(x))*g'(x)=1, proceed from there :)
(assuming invertibility)

Last edited:

1. What is (dy/dx)?

(dy/dx) is a mathematical notation used to represent the derivative of a function y with respect to the independent variable x. It is a measure of the rate of change of y with respect to x.

2. What is (dx/dy)?

(dx/dy) is a mathematical notation used to represent the derivative of a function x with respect to the dependent variable y. It is a measure of the rate of change of x with respect to y.

3. Why is (dy/dx) equal to 1/(dx/dy)?

This is a result of the inverse relationship between derivatives. The derivative of a function y with respect to x is the reciprocal of the derivative of x with respect to y.

4. How do you prove that (dy/dx) = 1/(dx/dy)?

To prove this, we can use the chain rule and implicit differentiation to show that the derivative of y with respect to x is equal to the derivative of x with respect to y multiplied by the derivative of y with respect to x. Simplifying this expression leads to (dy/dx) = 1/(dx/dy).

5. What are the practical applications of knowing (dy/dx) = 1/(dx/dy)?

This relationship is useful in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, economics, and engineering. It can be used to analyze rates of change, optimize functions, and solve differential equations.