1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with a proof!

1. Jun 28, 2012 #1
    How does one go about rigorously proving that (dy/dx)=1/(dx/dy)?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2012 #2
    and vice-versa of course

4. Jun 28, 2012 #3
    Good question. To answer that, first ask yourself, what do you mean by [itex] \frac{dy}{dx} [/itex]? What do you mean by [itex] \frac{dx}{dy} [/itex]?

I recommend looking at this post. https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=63886 (it's the same as your question)

5. Jun 28, 2012 #4
    how can y=f(x) define y implicitly? that seems explicit.

6. Jun 28, 2012 #5
    the above is in regard to the link provided

7. Jun 28, 2012 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You need to show some more effort here, per the forum rules. We're not here to do your homework for you.

8. Jun 28, 2012 #7
    This isn't for homework. Here is my attempt at a proof.

1.Say we are given a function y=f(x)

2.Differentiate implicit w.r.t. y and we see....

1=(df/dx)(dx/dy)

3. Now we can solve for the derivative of our choice!

Now, my question is.....

Dosen't the result of 2(implicit differentiation) imply that we thought of y=f(x) as y=f(x(y))? In other words,
    implicit diff stems from the chain rule right? So, dosen't that mean that the proof above is not general, in other
    words, what if I cant solve y=f(x) for x as a function of y explicitly? Then I cant say y=f(x) is the same as y=f(x(y))
    and obtain the right side of 2 which results from the chain rule.

Any ideas?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  9. Jun 28, 2012 #8
    Have you ever heard of the inverse function theorem? I will summarize it for a function of one variable, since the formulation is a bit easier. The theorem effectively says that if you have a function [itex]f:A\subset \mathbb{R}\rightarrow \mathbb{R} [/itex] which is differentiable and has a continuous derivative on some open set [itex] A [/itex], and [itex] f'(a)\neq 0 [/itex] at some point [itex] a\in A[/itex], then [itex] f^{-1} [/itex] exists and is defined in some neighbourhood of [itex] a [/itex].

In the context of your problem, this means that as long as [itex] f [/itex] is [itex]C^1 [/itex], and its derivative isn't zero one the whole domain, then SOMEWHERE in its domain, [itex]f[/itex] is invertible. Suppose that [itex] f [/itex] is invertible on [itex] U\subset A [/itex] as above. Then we have a function [itex] f^{-1} : f(U)\rightarrow A [/itex] which satisfies [itex] f^{-1}(f(x))=x [/itex] for all [itex] x \in U [/itex].

In conclusion, if [itex] f(x)=y [/itex], then so long as [itex]y[/itex] is in [itex] f(U) [/itex], we have [itex] x=f^{-1}(y) [/itex].

In short... you can always solve [itex] y=f(x) [/itex] for [itex] x [/itex] as a function of [itex] y [/itex] somewhere, as long as [itex] f [/itex] is continuously differentiable and isn't a constant function.

10. Jun 28, 2012 #9
    Well.. A neat lil trick you can do is (given f^-1=g), f(g(x))=x, derivative of bother sides is f'(g(x))*g'(x)=1, proceed from there :)
    (assuming invertibility)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook