Help with a tricky limit please.

• Thread starter mtayab1994
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the limit of a given function without using l'Hopital's rule or Taylor series. The participant suggests using an identity to simplify the problem and clarifies which variables represent A and B in the identity.
mtayab1994

Homework Statement

Find the limit:

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow-1}\frac{\sqrt{3-x}-x-3}{x+1}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Any tips for solving a limit like this. I've never dealt with one like so can someone offer some help please.( Without using l'hospital's rule or taylor series.)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh i apologize i did not read that you specified without l"hopital rule.

Try applying the identity [itex] A - B = \frac{A^2 - B^2}{A+B}[/itex] to the numerator.

yes but which on is A and which one is B.

A is [itex]\sqrt{3-x}[/itex] and B is [itex]x+3[/itex]

ok thank you.

1. What is a limit in mathematics?

A limit in mathematics is a fundamental concept that describes the behavior of a function as its input approaches a specific value. It represents the value that a function approaches as its input gets closer and closer to a particular value.

2. How can I approach solving a tricky limit?

There are various techniques for solving tricky limits, some of which include factoring, using L'Hopital's rule, and evaluating the limit at different points. It is essential to understand the properties of limits and how they behave to tackle challenging limit problems effectively.

3. Can I use a calculator to find a limit?

While calculators can be helpful in evaluating limits, it is essential to understand the underlying concepts and techniques for finding limits by hand. Some limits may not be solvable using a calculator, so it is crucial to have a strong understanding of limit properties and techniques.

4. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving limits?

Yes, some common mistakes to avoid when solving limits include forgetting to check for undefined values, incorrectly using algebraic rules, and not considering the limit from both sides. It is vital to take your time and carefully work through each step to avoid making errors.

5. What are some real-world applications of limits?

Limits have various real-world applications, such as in physics, economics, and engineering. For example, limits can be used to determine the maximum velocity of a falling object or the optimal production level for a company. They are also essential in understanding rates of change and optimization problems.