Help with basic thermodynamics equation (feel like I'm missing something)

In summary, the basic thermodynamics equation is the First Law of Thermodynamics, which states that the change in internal energy of a system is equal to the heat added to the system minus the work done by the system. It is expressed mathematically as ΔU = Q - W, with units of measurement in joules (J). This law is applied in real-life situations such as engine design, refrigeration systems, and chemical reactions, and helps us understand energy conservation and conversion. Misconceptions include the belief that energy cannot be created or destroyed (it only remains constant in an isolated system) and that it only applies to closed systems (it can also be applied to open systems with modifications).
ssolitare
I want to heat a small reservoir filled with water. I want to find out how long it will take to heat the water from a specific temperature to a specific temperature.

random example.
The continuous power source is 720 watts
The Initial temp is -40c
The Final temp is 70c
No heat loss.
Water amount: 2lbs (I must convert to kg?)

Am I missing anything like conversion? What equation am I working with?

Science news on Phys.org
Guessing you want the specific heat capacity eqn Q=mc delta t

You do need to convert to Kg

1. What is the basic thermodynamics equation?

The basic thermodynamics equation is the First Law of Thermodynamics, which states that the change in internal energy of a system is equal to the heat added to the system minus the work done by the system.

2. How is the First Law of Thermodynamics expressed mathematically?

The First Law of Thermodynamics is expressed as ΔU = Q - W, where ΔU is the change in internal energy, Q is the heat added to the system, and W is the work done by the system.

3. How is the First Law of Thermodynamics applied in real life?

The First Law of Thermodynamics is applied in various real-life situations, such as in the design of engines and power plants, refrigeration systems, and chemical reactions. It also helps us understand the conservation of energy and how energy can be converted from one form to another.

4. What are the units of measurement for the variables in the First Law of Thermodynamics equation?

The units of measurement for the variables in the First Law of Thermodynamics equation are as follows: ΔU is measured in joules (J), Q is measured in joules (J), and W is measured in joules (J).

5. What are some common misconceptions about the First Law of Thermodynamics?

One common misconception about the First Law of Thermodynamics is that it implies that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but in reality, it only states that the total energy of an isolated system remains constant. Another misconception is that it only applies to closed systems, but it can also be applied to open systems with some modifications.