Help with Commutators: H(P,Q) & H(P,Q')

In summary, the operators Q and Q' have the same commutator with the Hamiltonian, meaning that the energy spectrum of H(P,Q) can be related to that of H(P,Q') by a constant shift. However, this does not necessarily mean that the eigenfunctions of the two operators are related.
siyphsc

Homework Statement

(H - hamiltonian, P - momentum, Q- position)
Given two operators Q and Q', I have shown that [H(P, Q), Q] = [H(P, Q), Q']. I was wondering if this meant that I could assume that an energy spectrum found from H(P, Q) could be related to that of H(P, Q'). I am under the impression that the spectrum would be shifted over by a constant (multiplied by identity).

Homework Equations

Given above.

The Attempt at a Solution

The above problem comes from my attempt to solve a more complicated problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am trying to solve a time-independent Schrodinger equation using the Heisenberg picture. I have been able to find that [H(P,Q), Q] = [H(P, Q), Q'] (where O is the Hamiltonian, P is the momentum and Q is the position). This means that the Hamiltonian is invariant under translation, i.e. the energy spectrum of H(P,Q) can be related to that of H(P,Q') by a constant shift, as you stated. However, this does not necessarily mean that the eigenfunctions of H(P,Q) and H(P,Q') are related. In order to determine if they are, you will need to use the eigenvalue equation for the Hamiltonian to calculate the eigenfunctions for each Hamiltonian. If the eigenfunctions are related, then it means that the energy spectrum can be related by a constant shift.

What is a commutator?

A commutator is a mathematical operation that involves multiplying two operators and then subtracting their reverse order. It is denoted by [A,B] and is used to study the non-commutativity of operators in quantum mechanics.

What is the purpose of H(P,Q) and H(P,Q')?

H(P,Q) and H(P,Q') are commutators that are used to calculate the uncertainty in the measurement of two observables, P and Q. They represent the uncertainty in the values of P and Q that can be simultaneously measured.

How do you calculate H(P,Q) and H(P,Q')?

The calculation of H(P,Q) and H(P,Q') involves taking the product of the operators P and Q, and then subtracting the product of Q and P. This result is then divided by the square root of 2 multiplied by the imaginary unit i. The same steps are followed for H(P,Q'), but the product of Q and P is subtracted from the product of P and Q.

What is the physical significance of H(P,Q) and H(P,Q')?

H(P,Q) and H(P,Q') represent the uncertainty in the values of two observables, P and Q, in quantum mechanics. They indicate that it is impossible to measure both P and Q simultaneously with complete accuracy. This is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics known as the Heisenberg uncertainty principle.

How does H(P,Q) and H(P,Q') relate to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

H(P,Q) and H(P,Q') are mathematical expressions of the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. They represent the minimum uncertainty in the measurement of two non-commuting observables, and their values cannot be made arbitrarily small.