Help with contravarient vector transformation

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the components of a vector A = <2,1> with respect to two sets of coordinates, u1=1 and u2=1 and u-1 = sqrt((u1)^2 + (u2)^2) and u-2 = arctan(u2/u1). The first component is calculated to be 3/2^(1/2) instead of 2/2^(1/2) due to a missing term in the summation over terms for u-1 with respect to u2. There is also a discussion about the order of operations and the use of summation for finding the components.
fys iks!

Homework Statement

Let A = <2,1> be a vector with contravarient components at a point P with coordinants u1 = 1 , u2=1. Find the components a-1,a-2 (-1 and -2 are upstairs) of this vector with respect to the coordinates u-1 = sqrt((u1)^2 + (u2)^2) and u-2 = arctan(u2/u1).

Homework Equations

V^m(y) = (dy^m/dx^n) * V (x)^n

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the second component to be -1/2 which is correct but for the first component i keep getting 2/2^(1/2) but the answer is 3/2^(1/2).

The derivative of u-1 wrt u1 is:

1/2 [ (u1)^2 + (u2)^2) ]^(-1/2) * (2*u1)

then when i plug in u1=1 and u2 = 1 you get 1/(2^(1/2)). Then i multiply that by the a1 component 2 and this is how i got my answer.

Can anyone see where i went wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember that there is an implied summation over terms for u1 and u2 so that I think you are missing a term for u-1 with respect to u2.

If i sum over the terms then multiply by 2 i get 4/(2^(1/2)).

but i get the 3/2^(1/2) if i multiply the first term by the 2 then sum then second term.
but i don't know why you would do it this way since it breaks the order of operations.

also i didnt do a summation when i did the second component and i got the right answer.

I know that there should be a summation, but I am just not sure where/ when it should occurs

Thanks

1. What is a contravariant vector?

A contravariant vector is a type of vector that represents how a quantity changes with respect to a change in the coordinate system. It is also known as a covariant vector, and it is typically denoted by a superscript index on the vector's components.

2. Why is there a need for contravariant vector transformation?

Contravariant vector transformation is necessary because different coordinate systems can describe the same physical phenomenon differently. In order to accurately describe the same physical phenomenon in different coordinate systems, we need to transform the contravariant vectors to reflect the changes in the coordinate systems.

3. How do you perform a contravariant vector transformation?

To perform a contravariant vector transformation, you need to use a transformation matrix. This matrix is constructed using the basis vectors of the two coordinate systems and is used to convert the components of the vector from one coordinate system to another.

4. What are some applications of contravariant vector transformation?

Contravariant vector transformation is used in many fields of science, including physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is particularly useful in studying systems with changing coordinate systems, such as rotating objects or moving particles.

5. Can you give an example of a contravariant vector transformation?

One example of a contravariant vector transformation is in physics, where the position and velocity vectors of an object need to be transformed from one coordinate system to another. This is commonly seen in problems involving motion in a rotating reference frame, such as a satellite orbiting the Earth.