1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with contravarient vector transformation

1. May 28, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let A = <2,1> be a vector with contravarient components at a point P with coordinants u1 = 1 , u2=1. Find the components a-1,a-2 (-1 and -2 are upstairs) of this vector with respect to the coordinates u-1 = sqrt((u1)^2 + (u2)^2) and u-2 = arctan(u2/u1).

2. Relevant equations

V^m(y) = (dy^m/dx^n) * V (x)^n

3. The attempt at a solution

I got the second component to be -1/2 which is correct but for the first component i keep getting 2/2^(1/2) but the answer is 3/2^(1/2).

The derivative of u-1 wrt u1 is:

1/2 [ (u1)^2 + (u2)^2) ]^(-1/2) * (2*u1)

then when i plug in u1=1 and u2 = 1 you get 1/(2^(1/2)). Then i multiply that by the a1 component 2 and this is how i got my answer.

Can anyone see where i went wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2010 #2
    Remember that there is an implied summation over terms for u1 and u2 so that I think you are missing a term for u-1 with respect to u2.

4. May 29, 2010 #3
    If i sum over the terms then multiply by 2 i get 4/(2^(1/2)).

but i get the 3/2^(1/2) if i multiply the first term by the 2 then sum then second term.
    but i dont know why you would do it this way since it breaks the order of operations.

also i didnt do a summation when i did the second component and i got the right answer.

I know that there should be a summation, but im just not sure where/ when it should occurs

Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook