How Do I Construct an Epsilon-Delta Proof for a Function Mapping R2 to R1?

In summary, the conversation is about how to complete a proof for a function of x and y that maps R2 into R1, where the limit as (x,y)->(0,0) is zero. The proof must show that for any given ε > 0, there exists a δ > 0 such that |\vec{F}(x)-\vec{L}|<\epsilon whenever 0<||\vec{x}-\vec{a}||<\delta. The suggested approach is to find an expression for \delta in terms of \epsilon and then show that it works for all \epsilon > 0.
Lancelot59
I have a problem on a take-home test, so I can't ask about the specific problem. So this is just going to be a general, how do I put stuff together problem.

I have a function of x and y that maps R2 into R1. The limit as (x,y)->(0,0) is zero, and I've worked through the various paths already.

What I have so far for the proof is this:

Let [tex]\epsilon >0 \newline
[/tex]

[tex]|\vec{F}(x)-\vec{L}|<\epsilon[/tex] whenever [tex]0<||\vec{x}-\vec{a}||<\delta[/tex]

So the way I see this as delta gets closer to zero, the between the inputs and the limit inputs should be greater than zero, but less than a certain difference.

So if I put that last bit together:
[tex]0<||(x,y)-(0,0)||<\delta \rightarrow 0<\sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}}<\delta[/tex]

So now what do I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this enough of a proof?No, this is not a complete proof. To finish the proof, you need to show that for any given ε > 0, there exists a δ > 0 such that |\vec{F}(x)-\vec{L}|<\epsilon whenever 0<||\vec{x}-\vec{a}||<\delta. You can do this by finding an expression for \delta in terms of \epsilon, and then showing that it works for all \epsilon > 0. For example, you could say that \delta = \sqrt{\epsilon}\, and then show that if 0<||(x,y)-(0,0)||<\sqrt{\epsilon} then |\vec{F}(x)-\vec{L}|<\epsilon.

What is an Epsilon Delta proof?

An Epsilon Delta proof is a method used in calculus to prove the limit of a function using the concepts of epsilon and delta. It is a way to show that as the input of a function approaches a specific value, the output of the function approaches a specific value as well.

Why is an Epsilon Delta proof important?

An Epsilon Delta proof is important because it provides a rigorous and mathematical way to prove the existence of a limit. It also helps in understanding the behavior of functions near a specific point.

How do you construct an Epsilon Delta proof?

To construct an Epsilon Delta proof, you first choose a value for epsilon, which represents the distance between the output of the function and the limit. Then, you find a corresponding value for delta, which represents the distance between the input of the function and the limit. Finally, you show that for any input within delta distance from the limit, the output will be within epsilon distance from the limit.

What are some common mistakes when doing an Epsilon Delta proof?

Some common mistakes when doing an Epsilon Delta proof include choosing an inappropriate value for epsilon or delta, not considering all possible inputs, and not showing the limit of the function exists for all inputs within delta distance from the limit.

How can I improve my skills in doing Epsilon Delta proofs?

To improve your skills in doing Epsilon Delta proofs, it is important to practice regularly and to understand the underlying concepts and definitions. Additionally, seeking help from a professor or tutor can also be beneficial in identifying and correcting any mistakes in your proofs.