Help With finding displacement in uniform acceleration

In summary: Remember, for constant acceleration, the displacement is proportional to the square of the time. In summary, the train's displacement in the first 5.6394 seconds of motion is 24.0111384 meters. This is found by using the formula delta x = 1/2 (a)(t)^2 with a constant acceleration of 1.51 m/s^2.
mithilsheth

Homework Statement

A subway train starting from rest leaves a station with a constant acceleration. At the
end of 7.8 s, it is moving at 11.778 m/s. What is the train’s displacement in the first 5.6394 s of motion? Answer in units of m

Homework Equations

a= velocity final - velocity initial / time

delta x = velocity initial(time) + 1/2 (a)(t)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

delta x = 0 (7.8)+ 1/2 (1.51)(7.8)^2
delta x = 1/2 91.8684
delta x = 45.9342
that is delta x for 7.8 seconds. how do i find delta x for 5.6394 seconds?

Physics news on Phys.org
mithilsheth said:
that is delta x for 7.8 seconds. how do i find delta x for 5.6394 seconds?
Use the same formula, but with the different time! (Why did you solve for x at t = 7.8 second?)

i also did substitute 5.6394 s for the time rather than 7.8 seconds, and i got 66.4208532002 for delta x. but this was wrong. what did i do wrong?

mithilsheth said:
i also did substitute 5.6394 s for the time rather than 7.8 seconds, and i got 66.4208532002 for delta x. but this was wrong. what did i do wrong?
Show your calculation. (You know you must have done something wrong. This displacement is bigger than the one you found for the longer time. That can't be right.)

delta x = 1/2 (1.51)(5.6394)^2
delta x = 24.0111384

that is what i got this time...

mithilsheth said:
delta x = 1/2 (1.51)(5.6394)^2
delta x = 24.0111384

that is what i got this time...
That's more like it.

Likes 1 person

1. How do you calculate displacement in uniform acceleration?

To calculate displacement in uniform acceleration, you can use the equation d = v0t + 1/2at2, where d is displacement, v0 is initial velocity, t is time, and a is acceleration. Simply plug in the given values and solve for d.

2. What is uniform acceleration?

Uniform acceleration is a type of motion where the velocity of an object changes by the same amount in each unit of time. This means that the acceleration is constant and there is no change in direction.

3. Can you find displacement without knowing the acceleration?

Yes, you can find displacement without knowing the acceleration if you have information about the initial velocity and time. You can use the equation d = v0t to calculate displacement in this case.

4. How does displacement relate to velocity and time in uniform acceleration?

In uniform acceleration, displacement is directly proportional to the initial velocity and time. This means that as the initial velocity or time increases, the displacement will also increase.

5. How can I use displacement to find the final velocity?

To find the final velocity, you can use the equation v = v0 + at, where v is final velocity, v0 is initial velocity, a is acceleration, and t is time. You can substitute the calculated displacement for v0 and solve for v.