Help with finding roots for transfer functions

In summary, Mike is currently working on a problem in his Systems and Vibrations class that requires him to find the transfer function and compute the characteristic roots. He has been able to find the transfer function as (6s + 4)/(s^2 + 14s + 58), but is struggling to find the roots due to the complex nature of the equation. He has attempted to use the quadratic formula but has not been successful. He is seeking help with finding the roots.
mpm
I am in a Systems and Vibrations class but am currently doing differential equations.

A problem I am doing requires me to find the transfer function [X(s)/F(s)] and compute the characteristic roots.

So far I have:

X(s)/F(s) = (6s +4)/(s^2+14s+58)

That is the transfer function but now i have to find the roots.

I realize I only concern myself with the s^2+14s+58 part and set it equal to 0.

I can't factor it because of obvious reasons. I tried the quadratic equation but my calculator says its a non-real result which means its complex.

My problem is that I can't figure out how to do the quadratic when there is a complex root.

I know as^2 + bs + c = a[(s + sigma)^2 + omega^2] = 0.

However, I can't figure out how to find the roots using this equation.

Cany anyone help me with this?

Thanks,

Mike

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean that you just want to find the complex roots of the quadratic,

s² + 14s + 58 = 0 ?

Can't you just use the quadratic formula ?

Dear Mike,

Thank you for reaching out for help with finding roots for transfer functions. I understand the importance of understanding and solving these types of problems in your Systems and Vibrations class.

Firstly, to find the roots of a transfer function, you need to solve for the values of s that make the numerator of the transfer function equal to 0. In your case, this would mean setting 6s + 4 equal to 0 and solving for s. This will give you one of the roots.

Next, you will need to solve for the remaining root by setting the denominator of the transfer function, s^2 + 14s + 58, equal to 0 and using the quadratic formula. As you mentioned, the quadratic formula may result in complex roots, which are valid solutions in this case.

To find the complex roots, you can use the equation you mentioned, as^2 + bs + c = a[(s + sigma)^2 + omega^2] = 0. This equation represents the general form of a complex number, where sigma represents the real part and omega represents the imaginary part.

Using this equation, you can solve for the complex roots by setting the real part, (s + sigma)^2, equal to the negative of the coefficient of s^2 and the imaginary part, omega^2, equal to the negative of the constant term. This will give you two equations which you can solve simultaneously to find the values of sigma and omega, and thus your complex roots.

I hope this helps you in finding the roots for your transfer function. If you are still having trouble, I would recommend seeking help from your professor or a tutor who can guide you through the problem step-by-step.

Best of luck with your studies.

What is a transfer function?

A transfer function is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the input and output of a system. It is commonly used in engineering and physics to analyze and design systems.

Why do we need to find roots for transfer functions?

Finding the roots of a transfer function allows us to determine the stability and behavior of a system. The roots, also known as poles, can tell us if a system is stable, oscillating, or diverging.

How do we find the roots of a transfer function?

To find the roots of a transfer function, we set the denominator of the function equal to zero and solve for the variable. The values of the variable that make the denominator equal to zero are the roots or poles of the transfer function.

What do the roots of a transfer function represent?

The roots of a transfer function represent the frequency at which the output of a system becomes infinitely large or infinitely small. These frequencies are important in understanding the behavior and stability of a system.

Can we use transfer function roots to design a system?

Yes, the roots of a transfer function can be used to design a system. By manipulating the roots, we can adjust the behavior and stability of the system to meet specific requirements. This is commonly done in control systems and signal processing applications.