Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with finding the right resistor

1. Jul 27, 2015 #1
    so i need to reduce a dc 12v to dc 5v. do you know what type of resistor i should use? also could you please suggest an online calculator or an equation so that i can find the resistance i need in the future.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2015 #2

billy_joule

Science Advisor

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage_divider

Note that:

A voltage regulator like the LM7805 might be a better solution depending on your application.

4. Jul 27, 2015 #3

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

using a resistor is far from a good way to do it. This is because a resistor or resistive voltage divider as billy_joule suggested will also limit the current and that may be a bad thing for what you are trying to achieve

billy_joule's second suggestion is the best .... use a voltage regulator and ensure it can handle the current your project needs
    And yes there are ways to boost current requirements via a regulator

for current requirements up to ~ 0.75A ( 750mA) a 7805 reg is ideal
    for higher currents and much more efficient operation use a switching DC-DC buck converter
    eg ....
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DC-DC-Bu...13?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item27f68c89dd

it can take a wide input voltage range and has an adjustable output and is capable of 3 Amps

cheers
    Dave

5. Jul 28, 2015 #4

meBigGuy

Gold Member

I like both previous posts and third the suggestion that you drop the voltage with a voltage regulator.

You need to compute the power dropped in the regulator and make sure it can dissipate the heat (that would be true for a resistor also).

The power is 12-5 = 7V times load current. If 100ma. then that is 0.7 watts. Thermal resistance junction to air (to-220 package) is 65C per watt. so the junction will be 65 * 0.7 = 45C above ambient without a heat sink. Max junction temp is 125C. How hot will the environment be?

Another way to look at it. Say a 50C ambient, that leaves 125C - 50C = 75C. 75C / 65C/W = 1.2 watts 1.2 watts/7V = ~160ma. Above that you need a heat sink.

6. Jul 28, 2015 #5
    thanks for the tip i think i will use the lm7805

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook