Help with finding the right resistor

• Thread starter MattG2826811
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistor
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a DC-DC converter to reduce a 12V voltage to 5V. The use of a resistor is not recommended due to its limitation on current. A voltage regulator, specifically the LM7805, is suggested as a better solution. It is also mentioned that for higher currents, a switching DC-DC buck converter may be more efficient.
MattG2826811
so i need to reduce a dc 12v to dc 5v. do you know what type of resistor i should use? also could you please suggest an online calculator or an equation so that i can find the resistance i need in the future.

Engineering news on Phys.org
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage_divider

Note that:

Loading effect
The output voltage of a voltage divider will vary according to the electric current it is supplying to its external electrical load. To obtain a sufficiently stable output voltage, the output current must either be stable or limited to an appropriately small percentage of the divider's input current. Load sensitivity can be decreased by reducing the impedance of the divider, though this increases the divider's quiescent input current and results in higher power consumption (and wasted heat) in the divider. Voltage regulators are often used in lieu of passive voltage dividers when it is necessary to accommodate high or fluctuating load currents.

Applications
Voltage dividers are used for adjusting the level of a signal, for bias of active devices in amplifiers, and for measurement of voltages. A Wheatstone bridge and a multimeter both include voltage dividers. A potentiometer is used as a variable voltage divider in the volume control of many radios.

A voltage regulator like the LM7805 might be a better solution depending on your application.

MattG2826811 said:
so i need to reduce a dc 12v to dc 5v. do you know what type of resistor i should use? also could you please suggest an online calculator or an equation so that i can find the resistance i need in the future.

using a resistor is far from a good way to do it. This is because a resistor or resistive voltage divider as billy_joule suggested will also limit the current and that may be a bad thing for what you are trying to achieve

billy_joule's second suggestion is the best ... use a voltage regulator and ensure it can handle the current your project needs
And yes there are ways to boost current requirements via a regulator

for current requirements up to ~ 0.75A ( 750mA) a 7805 reg is ideal
for higher currents and much more efficient operation use a switching DC-DC buck converter
eg ...
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DC-DC-Buck-Converter-4-5-35V-to-1-25-30V-3A-Power-Module-24V-to-9V-12V-to-5V-etc-/171640130013?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item27f68c89dd

it can take a wide input voltage range and has an adjustable output and is capable of 3 Amps

cheers
Dave

Likes billy_joule
I like both previous posts and third the suggestion that you drop the voltage with a voltage regulator.

You need to compute the power dropped in the regulator and make sure it can dissipate the heat (that would be true for a resistor also).

The power is 12-5 = 7V times load current. If 100ma. then that is 0.7 watts. Thermal resistance junction to air (to-220 package) is 65C per watt. so the junction will be 65 * 0.7 = 45C above ambient without a heat sink. Max junction temp is 125C. How hot will the environment be?

Another way to look at it. Say a 50C ambient, that leaves 125C - 50C = 75C. 75C / 65C/W = 1.2 watts 1.2 watts/7V = ~160ma. Above that you need a heat sink.

davenn said:
using a resistor is far from a good way to do it. This is because a resistor or resistive voltage divider as billy_joule suggested will also limit the current and that may be a bad thing for what you are trying to achieve

billy_joule's second suggestion is the best ... use a voltage regulator and ensure it can handle the current your project needs
And yes there are ways to boost current requirements via a regulator

for current requirements up to ~ 0.75A ( 750mA) a 7805 reg is ideal
for higher currents and much more efficient operation use a switching DC-DC buck converter
eg ...
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DC-DC-Buck-Converter-4-5-35V-to-1-25-30V-3A-Power-Module-24V-to-9V-12V-to-5V-etc-/171640130013?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item27f68c89dd

it can take a wide input voltage range and has an adjustable output and is capable of 3 Amps

cheers
Dave
billy_joule said:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage_divider

Note that:
A voltage regulator like the LM7805 might be a better solution depending on your application.
thanks for the tip i think i will use the lm7805

1. How do I determine the value of a resistor?

The value of a resistor can be determined by reading the color code bands on the resistor. Each color represents a different number, which can be decoded using a color code chart. Additionally, you can use an ohm meter to measure the resistance of the resistor.

2. What is the purpose of a resistor in a circuit?

A resistor is used to limit the flow of current in a circuit. It helps to control the voltage and current levels, and protects components from getting damaged due to excessive current.

3. What is the difference between a fixed and variable resistor?

A fixed resistor has a set resistance value that cannot be changed, while a variable resistor, also known as a potentiometer, allows for the resistance to be adjusted manually. Variable resistors are often used for volume controls or in tuning circuits.

4. How do I choose the right wattage for a resistor?

The wattage of a resistor is determined by the amount of power it can handle without getting damaged. To choose the right wattage, you should calculate the power dissipation of the resistor by multiplying the current through it by the voltage across it. It is recommended to choose a resistor with a wattage rating that is at least 50% higher than the calculated power dissipation.

5. What is the tolerance of a resistor?

The tolerance of a resistor refers to the amount of variation in its actual resistance value from the labeled value. Most resistors have a tolerance of 5%, which means that the actual resistance can vary by up to 5% from the labeled value. It is important to consider the tolerance when selecting a resistor for a circuit to ensure accuracy.