Help with first integral of PDE

In summary, the conversation discusses difficulty with solving a PDE and finding a second function that is constant. Two helpful hints are provided which suggest manipulating the system of equations and finding a form that can be integrated. The solution for a more trivial example is also mentioned.
bndnchrs
Hey guys, I'm having a little difficulty with a pde I'm trying to solve. It boils down to solving for a first integral. I don't want the answer, but I'd be glad to get a little help. We have the system:

[tex]\frac{dx}{x^2} = \frac{dy}{y^2} = \frac{dz}{xy(z^2 + 1)}[/tex]

We can use the first two and find that

[tex] \frac{1}{x} - \frac{1}{y} = c [/tex]

I need to use all three to find a second function which is constant here. I've tried using the compendo and dividendo rule and I can't seem to get anywhere... I'm hoping just for a slight hint because I want to solve it myself but I'm really stuck at this point.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Here are two hints you might find helpful:

(1) You have a relationship between x and y, so you can isolate for x or y, then substitute the result into the original system of equations.

(2) You can manipulate the original system as if the differentials (dx, dy, dz) were parts of a fraction. You can multiply both sides by the same factor, for example, or cancel out common factors, just like with fractions.

right... the problem is this solution isn't as easy as all that... there is a more trivial example solved with

[tex] \frac{dx}{x^2} = \frac{dy}{y^2} = \frac{dz}{z(x+y)} [/tex]

Which can be solved by doing some proper addition and subtraction: so I know the idea. Its a matter of getting a form [tex]\frac{g*dx + h*dy}{f(x,y)} [/tex] such that that solution is the differential of a higher form... as the dz part is quite easy, we can integrate it to arctan, we just need a better function of the xs I think...

FAQ: Help with first integral of PDE

1. What is a first integral of a PDE?

A first integral of a PDE is a function that satisfies the PDE and its derivatives. It is used to simplify the PDE and reduce it to a system of ordinary differential equations.

2. How do you find the first integral of a PDE?

The process of finding the first integral of a PDE involves solving the PDE and its derivatives, and then manipulating the equations to eliminate the highest order derivatives. The resulting equation will be the first integral of the PDE.

3. Why is finding the first integral of a PDE important?

Finding the first integral of a PDE can help in simplifying the PDE and reducing it to a system of ordinary differential equations. This can make it easier to solve the PDE and gain a better understanding of the underlying physical phenomenon.

4. Can the first integral of a PDE be used to find a general solution?

Yes, the first integral of a PDE can be used to find a general solution. However, it may not always be possible to find a first integral for every PDE. In such cases, other techniques such as numerical methods may be used to find a solution.

5. Are there any applications of the first integral of a PDE in real-world problems?

Yes, the first integral of a PDE has numerous applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and finance. It can be used to model and solve problems involving heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and option pricing, among others.

Back