Help with Fourier Series: Solving for Coefficients and Finding Pi

• Thread starter bobese
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fourier
In summary, the Fourier series for the function f(x) = 1 when -10 ≤ x < -5 and f(x) = 0 when -5 ≤ x < 5 converges pointwise to f at x=5, but if there is a point discontinuity this is not the case.
bobese
i'm new here so i didn't really know where to post this but I've been trying to solve the Fourier series for the following function for ages but have failed miserably on several occasions:

f(x) = 1 ; when -10 ≤ x < -5
f(x) = 0 ; when -5 ≤ x < 5
f(x) = -1 ; when 5 ≤ x < 10

The function appears to be odd when sketched so therefore only the sine coefficients exist which i found to be:

bn = [2/n(pi)]*[cos (n(pi)) - cos (0.5n(pi))]

This then gave the following results using a substitution of 10/2 instead of x in the sin parts multiplied by the corresponding bn coefficient:

f(x) = -[2/(pi)]*[1 - 1/3 + 1/5 - 1/7 ...]

That is then supposed to be used to find the following expression for pi:
pi = 4*(1 - 1/3 + 1/5 - 1/7 ...)

However, with my results i found the following:
pi = 2*(1 - 1/3 + 1/5 - 1/7 ...)

Can anyone help pinpoint my mistake please :(?

any help would be highly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
At x=5 the function f is discontinuous. Do you know where a Fourier series of f converges to at a point discontinuity?

unfortunately i do not ... i never was any good with anything to do with Fourier series :(

I wouldn't say that. You computed the series perfectly. It's a little technical matter:
You substituted x=10/2 in the series and in the function and equated the two. In this case f(5)=-1. However, it should be obvious that if the function was -1 for 5<x<=10 and 0 for -5 ≤ x ≤ 5 it would give the same Fourier series, but now f(5)=0.

If the function f is continuous at, then its Fourier series converges pointwise to f, but if there is a point discontinuity this is not the case. In general the Fourier series converges to [tex]\frac{f(x^+)+f(x^-)}{2}[/tex]. So in this case, at x=5 the series converges not to 0 or -1, but -1/2 which gives your factor of 2.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for that :)

umm ... sorry to bother once again but when using parseval's theorem to calculate the coefficient alpha in front of pi squared for:the formula i was taught is:

(since the other terms are zero as a result of the odd function)

however, was not taught how to apply... do i just take the equation of pi found above and just square both sides then arrange for pi squared? if so the answer i got was 1/16 for the coefficient which i hope is correct :confused: it seems quite reasonable to do that since the bn terms are exactly the same as the the expression inside the sigma ... I'm not sure :confused: it's the limits of the left hand side of the second equation that has me confused since f(x) takes different values between the interval and I am not quite sure what to do with that :frown:

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Help with Fourier Series: Solving for Coefficients and Finding Pi

1. What is a Fourier series?

A Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as a sum of sine and cosine functions. It is used to analyze and approximate a wide range of periodic phenomena, such as sound waves, electrical signals, and physical vibrations.

2. How do you solve for coefficients in a Fourier series?

To solve for coefficients in a Fourier series, you can use the orthogonality property of sine and cosine functions to set up a system of equations. These equations can then be solved using integration techniques or by using a computer program.

3. What is the significance of finding Pi in a Fourier series?

Finding Pi in a Fourier series is significant because it allows you to determine the fundamental frequency of the periodic function being represented. This fundamental frequency is related to the period of the function and can provide valuable information about its behavior.

4. What is the relationship between Fourier series and harmonics?

Fourier series and harmonics are closely related as harmonics are the frequencies that make up a Fourier series. Each harmonic is a multiple of the fundamental frequency and contributes to the overall shape of the periodic function being represented.

5. How can Fourier series be applied in real-world problems?

Fourier series can be applied in various real-world problems, such as signal processing, image compression, and data analysis. They allow us to break down complex signals into simpler components, making it easier to analyze and manipulate them. Additionally, Fourier series have applications in physics, engineering, and other fields where periodic phenomena occur.