How Do You Calculate the Minimum Angle to Push a Mop Considering Friction?

In summary, to find the minimum angle for which it will be impossible to push the mop, you need to solve for theta in the equation \tan\theta > U_k, where U_k is the coefficient of kinetic friction. This is derived from the equation for the force required to move the mop, P = \frac {(U_k *mg )}{( \sin\theta- U_k*\cos\theta)}.
newcool
Hi, I need help with the following problem:

You are pushing a mop of mass m with a force P at an angle theta. The coefficiant of friction is [tex]U_k [/tex].

Find P so that the mop will start moving in terms in [tex]\theta,U_k ,m,g [/tex].

I solved this part and got:

[tex]
P = \frac {(U_k *mg )}{( \sin\theta- U_k*\cos\theta)} [/tex]

Now, for part 2 I have to find the minimum angle [tex] \theta [/tex] for which it will be impossible for me to push the mop in terms of [tex]\theta,U_k ,m,g,P [/tex]..

Like at 90 degrees It is impossible to push the mop. Any help on part 2 would be appreciated.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
is theta relative to to the vertical or to the horizontal ?
if it is relative to the horizontal, i got 45 degree. Pcos(theta) = miu*N

Theta is relative to the Vertical. Can you explain how you got 45?

Thanks

45 degree is wrong, sorry. i think you have got the right anwer ninety degree.

The answer is below 90 degrees. From theta to 90 it will not move.

if theta is below ninety degree if it won't move, i don't know how the p found in the first part can move the mop.

P is the force required for it to move at the angle Theta. The 2nd part of the problem is to find an angle theta such that any amount of P would not be able to move the mop.

My guess is that theta is somewhere around 80 degrees, however I am looking for the true solution.

sorry, can't help you with that !

i found a similar question in my book. it introdueces both [tex]\mu_s [/tex] for coefficient of static friction and [tex]\mu_k [/tex] as coeffiecient of kinetic friction.

if the force P can't move the mop, then [tex]Psin\theta<\mu_s*N[/tex]; then
[tex]Psin\theta<\mu_s*N[/tex]
[tex]Psin\theta<\mu_s*(mg+Pcos\theta)[/tex]
[tex]sin\theta-\mu_s*cos\theta<\frac{\mu_s*mg}{P}[/tex]
[tex]\sqrt{1+\mu_s^2}*sin(\theta-tan^{-1}\mu_s)<\frac{\mu_s*mg}{P}[/tex]
[tex]\theta<sin^{-1}\frac{\mu_s*mg}{P*\sqrt{1+\mu_s^2}}+tan^{-1}\mu_s[/tex]
so [tex]\theta_{min}=sin^{-1}\frac{\mu_s*mg}{P*\sqrt{1+\mu_s^2}}+tan^{-1}\mu_s[/tex] so that the mop will move.

Last edited:
thank you Leong, for the help
Unfortunately, it it a little too complex and there is no [tex]U_s[/tex] in the problem.

The correct answer is that [tex]\tan\theta > U_k [/tex]

I am still looking for how to arrive at this answer.

to move a thing in a frictional surface, don't we need to overcome the static friction first to get started to move, we use uk to relate the friction when it is in motion, a little weird i think for the answer to have uk.

Last edited:
I found the answer. It was actually very simple

From the answer I got for part 1:

[tex]
P = \frac {(U_k *mg )}{( \sin\theta- U_k*\cos\theta)} [/tex]

We can say that [tex] \sin\theta- U_k*\cos\theta > 0[/tex]

Working it out you get that [tex]\frac{\sin\theta}{\cos\theta} > U_k[/tex]

And then you get that [tex]\tan\theta > U_k[/tex]

1. What is friction and why is it important to understand?

Friction is the force that opposes motion between two surfaces in contact. It is important to understand because it affects how objects move and interact with each other, and is crucial in many scientific fields, such as engineering, physics, and materials science.

2. What are the different types of friction?

The three main types of friction are static friction, which prevents objects from moving when they are at rest, kinetic friction, which opposes the motion of moving objects, and rolling friction, which occurs when an object rolls over a surface.

3. How can we reduce friction?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, which create a slippery layer between two surfaces. Smoother surfaces can also reduce friction, as well as reducing the weight or pressure of the objects in contact.

4. What factors affect the amount of friction between two surfaces?

The amount of friction between two surfaces is affected by the nature of the materials, the roughness of the surfaces, the amount of force pushing the surfaces together, and the speed at which the surfaces are moving.

5. How is friction used in everyday life?

Friction is used in everyday life in many ways, such as in transportation (e.g. car brakes, tires), sports (e.g. grip on a basketball or tennis court), and household tasks (e.g. using sandpaper to smooth wood). It also plays a crucial role in the functioning of machines and other mechanical devices.