Help with Homework Equation: Input Impedance

In summary, the conversation is discussing a homework equation and the correct way to solve it. The person is unsure if they should plug in values or if the answer is already given. They also mention a trick question about the input impedance of a low-loss line of infinite length and a specific load impedance.
EEuser
Homework Statement
What is the input impedance of a low-loss line of infinite length and Zo=50+0.1j ohms if connected to a load of Zl=100 ohms.
Relevant Equations
See below
Homework Equation:
Screen Shot 2019-12-16 at 4.05.19 PM.png

I do not think I am getting the correct answer for this problem when I do it out by hand. Do I plug the necessary values into the equation shown above or do I say that because it is an infinite line that the characteristic impedance is equal to the input impedance? If the answer does require plugging the values into the above equation please include answer as I do not think I am getting the correct answer when I am plugging in values.
Appreciate the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
EEuser said:
Homework Statement:: What is the input impedance of a low-loss line of infinite length and Zo=50+0.1j ohms if connected to a load of Zl=100 ohms.
Sounds like a trick question to me. If the transmission line is of infinite length, then what does the load impedance matter? Unless you have a lot of time on your hands to make the measurement...

1. What is input impedance?

Input impedance is a measure of how much resistance is present at the input of a circuit. It is represented by the symbol Zin and is typically measured in ohms (Ω).

2. Why is input impedance important?

Input impedance is important because it affects the performance and behavior of a circuit. It determines how much current can flow into the circuit and how much voltage is needed to drive the circuit.

3. How is input impedance calculated?

Input impedance is calculated by dividing the input voltage by the input current. It can also be calculated using Ohm's law (Zin = Vin / Iin).

4. How does input impedance relate to homework equations?

Input impedance is often included in homework equations when solving problems related to circuit analysis. It is important to understand how input impedance affects the overall behavior of a circuit in order to correctly solve these equations.

5. How can I improve my understanding of input impedance and equations related to it?

One way to improve your understanding of input impedance and related equations is to practice solving problems and analyzing circuits. You can also consult textbooks, online resources, or seek help from a tutor or teacher if needed.