Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculators Help with HP50G

1. Oct 13, 2007 #1
    I recently purchased an HP50G as I caught my TI-89 giving me incorrect results when solving simultaneous equations. However I can't get the 50G to do anything but tell me invalid syntax. I am using MSOLV as follows:

MSOLV('[x/60+x/15+(x-y)/5-15=0][y/2+(y-x)/5+5=0][x,y]

This is the syntax copied straight out of the users guide. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2007 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Looks like you may need a set of square brackets inclosing the entire matrix.

Is the HP able to correctly close the opening paren and tick mark?

4. Oct 13, 2007 #3
    I've tried that along with apostrophes before and after the square brackets as shown in the HP users guide. You have heard of Moore's law, well there is also a Mathieson Law that I came up with years ago: it states that user friendliness is inversly proportional to functionality. The HP50G proves that point.,

5. Oct 15, 2007 #4

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I wonder, was it the machine's fault, or operator error? In the end, a calculator is only as smart as the person using it. What simultaneous equations were you trying to solve?

6. Oct 16, 2007 #5

Bill_B

Gold Member

Hmm... My user's guide lists a different syntax. Try

MSOLV('[x/60+x/15+(x-y)/5-15=0 , y/2+(y-x)/5+5=0]' , '[x,y]', '[0,0]')

I get 60,10

7. Oct 23, 2007 #6
    I am much happier with my TI-89 Titanium. I should put my HP on e-bay.

Besides, there are a number of good programs written for the 89.

8. Oct 26, 2007 #7
    For the HP 50

1. How can I get answers displayed as fractions rather than decimal ?

2. How can I convert decimals to fractions

9. Oct 27, 2007 #8

Bill_B

Gold Member

1. Go to MODE, then CAS, then uncheck APPROX. This will make the calc output exact fractions, rather than decimal approximations.

Personally, I keep my calc in this mode and use RSHIFT ENTER to convert from fraction to decimal as needed.

2. LSHIFT 6 (convert), then choose REWRITE, then ->Q to convert from decimal to fraction.

10. Sep 20, 2008 #9
    Some help please.
    I'm writing a units application and I want to convert cubic meters /day into millions of cubic meters a gear. The first one is easy '1_m^3/d' but when I try '1_Mm^3/yr' it gets interpreted as 'million meters cubed per year.
    I've tried putting brackets i.e. '1_M(m^3)/yr' and '1_M(m^3/yr)' but this results in nonsence.
    I seem to remember reading about how to solve this problem in my old HP48sx manual, but I have long since lost that!
    Has anybody got a solution?
    Adrian

11. Mar 11, 2010 #10
    There is not an MSOLV command; there _IS_ an MSLV command. The syntax is:

MSLV( '[x/60+x/15+(x-y)/5-15=0, y/2+(y-x)/5+5=0]' , '[x,y]' , [0,0] )

There are three arguments: '[ list of equations ]' , '[ list of variables ]' , [ list of initial values ]

I hope that is what you needed.

Han

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?