Understanding Index Notation in Engineering and Physics

In summary, the student is having trouble understanding how to write vector equations in index notation. He is trying to figure out how to write the vector equation for the problem with the normal vector and external force, but he is not understanding what the terms fsin and fcos mean. He is also unfamiliar with the term Euclidian metric tensor, but he is guessing that it is a matrix.
chusifer
hello, i just started learning index notation in my engineering class, and I am having some trouble. one of the problems on my homework was:

putting this in index notation:
[tex]\vec{f}=g \frac{m_1m_2}{\vec{r}^2} \ \frac{\vec{r}}{\sqrt{\vec{r}^2}}[/tex]

and then another problem that reads...

consider a plane with outer normal vector [tex] v_i [/tex] on which a force is acting [tex] f_i [/tex]. what are the normal components of force on the surface? wut is the max shear component? what direction is the max shear component pointing? write this in index notation.

i can figure out the components...just not how to write them in index notation. so any help here would be appreciated. thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For your f, you may write:
[tex]f_{i}=\frac{Gm_{1}m_{2}}{r_{j}^{2}}\frac{r_{i}}{\sqrt{r_{k}^{2}}}[/tex]
I read "g" as "G" ; hope I was right about that..:wink:

[tex]f^a=g \frac{m_1m_2}{(r_b r^b)^{3/2}} \ r^a[/tex]

Given a vector [itex]\vec f[/itex] and a unit-vector [itex]\hat n[/itex],
the vector component of [itex]\vec f [/itex] along [itex]\hat n[/itex] is
[itex](\vec f\cdot \hat n)\hat n[/itex].
In index notation,
[itex]( f^a g_{ab} n^b) n^c[/itex], where [itex]g_{ab}[/itex] is the Euclidean metric tensor and [itex]n^a g_{ab} n^b=1[/itex].

for the problem with the normal vector and external force, arent the components fsin and fcos? how would i turn those into index notation?

chusifer said:
for the problem with the normal vector and external force, arent the components fsin and fcos? how would i turn those into index notation?
[tex]f^a g_{ab} n^b=\vec f\cdot\hat n =|\vec f | |\hat n|\cos\theta _\text{between f and n }=|\vec f | \cos\theta _\text{between f and n }[/tex]

hmmmm [tex]g_a_b[/tex] ...that sounds like the matrix [tex]B_i_j[/tex] my prof was talking about. I am unfamiliar with the term Euclidian metric tensor...but am i right in calling it a matrix?

Related to Understanding Index Notation in Engineering and Physics

What is index notation and why is it used?

Index notation is a way of representing mathematical expressions using indices or exponents. It is commonly used in scientific and mathematical fields to simplify and condense complex equations.

How do I read and interpret index notation?

To read index notation, first identify the base number or variable, followed by the index or exponent. For example, in x2, x is the base and 2 is the index. The exponent indicates how many times the base is multiplied by itself.

What are the rules for performing operations with index notation?

The rules for operations with index notation are similar to those for exponents. When multiplying terms with the same base, add the indices. When dividing terms with the same base, subtract the indices. When raising a power to another power, multiply the indices. When simplifying expressions with parentheses, multiply the outside index by the inner index.

What are the benefits of using index notation?

Index notation allows for a more compact and efficient way of writing mathematical expressions. It also makes it easier to perform operations and manipulate equations, especially when dealing with large or complex numbers.

Are there any common mistakes when using index notation?

One common mistake when using index notation is forgetting to apply the rules for operations, resulting in incorrect solutions. Another mistake is incorrectly multiplying indices when simplifying expressions with parentheses. It is important to double-check and carefully follow the rules when working with index notation.