Help with Conversion of Logistic Map to Complex Quadratic Form

• Thread starter chinye11
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set
In summary, the person was trying to find a way to plot the julia set for the logistic map and was having difficulty finding a translation that worked. They found two different translations online, and were wondering if someone could help them with the conversion. They eventually found a solution using the linear transformation.
chinye11
Help with Complex quadratic forms

Homework Statement

The question is to plot the julia set of the logistic map f [x] = 4.4x(1-x). I know how to plot the graph of z^2 + c for any given c using mathematica and I'm pretty sure its possible to convert any logistic map to the form z^2 + c but i was wondering if someone could help me with this conversion, how to and the theory with it?

Homework Equations

Logistic Map: r x (1 - x)
Desired Form: z^2 +c

The Attempt at a Solution

Translation 1
c = [( r / 2) - ( ( r ^ 2 ) / 4) ] gives answer 2.89
c = [ 1 - ( ( r -1)^ 2 / 2 ) ] gives answer -2.64

So far i have found two different answers 2.89 and -2.64 using two different translation i have found on the internet and was wondering if someone could help me.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

chinye11 said:

Homework Statement

The question is to plot the julia set of the logistic map f [x] = 4.4x(1-x). I know how to plot the graph of z^2 + c for any given c using mathematica and I'm pretty sure its possible to convert any logistic map to the form z^2 + c but i was wondering if someone could help me with this conversion, how to and the theory with it?

Homework Equations

Logistic Map: r x (1 - x)
Desired Form: z^2 +c

The Attempt at a Solution

Translation 1
c = [( r / 2) - ( ( r ^ 2 ) / 4) ] gives answer 2.89
c = [ 1 - ( ( r -1)^ 2 / 2 ) ] gives answer -2.64

So far i have found two different answers 2.89 and -2.64 using two different translation i have found on the internet and was wondering if someone could help me.

So you have

[tex]y_{n+1}=\lambda y_n(1-y_n)[/tex]

and you want to convert that to:

[tex]z_{n+1}=z_n^2+c[/tex]

How about the linear transformation:

[tex]y_n=az_n+b[/tex]

or:

[tex]a z_{n+1}+b=\lambda (a z_n+b)\left(1-(a z_n+b)\right)[/tex]

Now, can you figure what a and b have to be so that the [itex]z_n[/itex] term drops out and you're left with
[tex]z_{n+1}=z_n^2+c[/tex]

Tell you what though, I don't think this is happenin' for me because I arrive at an expression of [itex]z\to z^2-2.6[/itex] and that is way far to the left of the Mandelbrot set which means the Julia set is really, really small and my Mathematica code starts chocking at around -1.4. Probably I'm doing something wrong though.

Last edited:

no i had a miscalculation in one of my calculations the correct answer is I believe - 2.64 and my mathematica code is plotting it however I have to zoom into see the Julia set, it corresponds to a piece of the thinned out part of the mandelbrot set seen on the left of it as you said.

While I have a chance do you mind if i ask if you know a translation from the general quadratic form: ax^2 + bx + c

to the one requested above zn+1=z2n+c

thanks very much for the help.

I thought the linear transformation above would work for the general quadratic case. Doesn't it? Have you tried converting:

[tex]h z_{n+1}+k=a(h z_n+k)^2+b(h z_n+k)+c[/tex]

Oh yeah, wanna' post your code? Ok if you don't want to though.

Last edited:

What is the purpose of converting the logistic map to complex quadratic form?

The purpose of converting the logistic map to complex quadratic form is to gain a better understanding of the dynamics and behavior of the system. By transforming the logistic map, it becomes easier to analyze and visualize the behavior of the system in a complex plane.

How do you convert the logistic map to complex quadratic form?

To convert the logistic map to complex quadratic form, you can use the formula z = r*z*(1-z), where z represents the complex number and r represents the growth rate. By iterating this formula, you can generate a sequence of complex numbers that will eventually converge to a fixed point or exhibit chaotic behavior.

What is the significance of the fixed points in the complex quadratic form of the logistic map?

The fixed points represent the equilibrium points of the system, where the value of z remains constant over time. These points are important because they can indicate the stability or instability of the system. For example, if a fixed point is attracting, the system will eventually converge to that point, but if it is repelling, the system will exhibit chaotic behavior.

Can the complex quadratic form of the logistic map be used to model real-world phenomena?

Yes, the complex quadratic form of the logistic map can be used to model various real-world phenomena such as population growth, disease spread, and stock market fluctuations. By adjusting the growth rate and initial conditions, the behavior of the system can mimic different real-world scenarios.

Are there any limitations to converting the logistic map to complex quadratic form?

One limitation is that the complex quadratic form of the logistic map only works for discrete time systems, where the value of z is calculated at discrete time intervals. It may not accurately represent continuous time systems. Additionally, the results of the conversion may vary depending on the chosen growth rate and initial conditions, making it difficult to generalize the behavior of the system.