1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with Kinetic Energy concept of two masses that move the same distance

1. Dec 11, 2012 #1
    Help with Kinetic Energy concept of two masses that move the same distance!!

ScreenShot2012-12-11at51940PM.png

I don't understand why the answer to this is B :(

Because KE = (1/2)mv2, if they move the same distance and have DIFFERENT masses, the kinetic energies would be different no?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2012 #2
    Re: Help with Kinetic Energy concept of two masses that move the same distance!!

Don't forget that the KE depends on the speed of the blocks, not just the masses and certainly not (at least not explicitly) the distance they move.
    Hint: consider instead the amount of work done by the force on the masses.

4. Dec 11, 2012 #3
    Re: Help with Kinetic Energy concept of two masses that move the same distance!!

Oh ok I think I understand...

5. Dec 11, 2012 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It's natural to assume that the force is applied for the same duration to each, but you are not told that. In fact, it cannot be so. Hence, the speeds can be different although the distances are the same.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook