Help with kinetic energy/potential energy ratio

It is the same in math - if the answer is 2 then it is also -2, but that can confuse students. So be careful with signs. In summary, the ratio of kinetic energy to potential energy of a satellite orbiting a mass M around a radius R is -1/2. This is found by using Newton's 2nd Law and the equations for kinetic and potential energy. Be careful with signs when solving problems.
Princess19

Homework Statement

What is the ratio of kinetic energy to potential energy, of a satellite orbiting a mass M around a radius R.

Homework Equations

ke = 1/2 (mv^2)/r, pe = -Gmm/r^2 (im not really sure of these, i don't have my book with me)

The Attempt at a Solution

this was a problem on my test, and i don't know if i got it right, so i would like to know what the answer is.

i had no idea how to do this so i just did

2ke = pe

ke/pe = 1/2.

what is the answer? i know i got it wrong hehe

any input is appreciated! thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Start from
KE = (1/2)mv2
PE = -GMm/r

Write Newton's 2nd Law for a circular orbit and solve for the speed v.
Replace v in the KE equation.
Take the ratio and see what you get.

all i want to know is if i have it right. were not going to have a final exam so i won't see this stuff ever again.

anyways ill try it because I am bored...

(1/2)mv2/-GMm/r

thats its i have no idea what else

Princess19 said:
all i want to know is if i have it right. were not going to have a final exam so i won't see this stuff ever again.
You don't have it right.

haha i knew it

so how do u do this problem? all i can get is to that first part i just did

In my posting #2 I gave you three steps. You skipped to the third without doing the first two. OK, once more

Step 1
Write Newton's 2nd Law for a circular orbit and solve for the speed v.

Finish this and I will help you with the rest.

i still don't know how to do it

can someone help me?

Maybe you should check your sign?

im so lost, wat sign?

im up to this part

(1/2)mv^2/GMm/r

Princess19 said:
i still don't know how to do it
Newton's 2nd Law says F = ma. For a satellite of mass m orbiting the Earth in a circular orbit, what is F and what is a?

kuruman said:
Newton's 2nd Law says F = ma. For a satellite of mass m orbiting the Earth in a circular orbit, what is F and what is a?

F = m.v^2 / r ??

Correct for the ma part. Now what is the force F for the gravitational attraction?

kuruman said:
Correct for the ma part. Now what is the force F for the gravitational attraction?

mg ?

No. It is the Law of Universal gravitational force that has upper case G not lower case g in it.

F = GMm/r^2 ?

That's the one. Now let's go to step 2. You have F (posting # 16) and you have ma (posting #12). Set the two equal and solve for the quantity mv2.

kuruman said:
That's the one. Now lets' go to step 2. You have F (posting # 16) and you have ma (posting #12). Set the two equal and solve for the quantity mv2.

ok so

F = ma
GMm/r^2 = m . v^2 /r

GMm/r = mv^2

is that it? what next?

Step 3. You know that KE = (1/2)mv2. What is KE in terms of GMm/r?

kuruman said:
Step 3. You know that KE = (1/2)mv2. What is KE in terms of GMm/r?

i don't understand lol

is it GMm/2r?

Right. KE = GMm/(2r). You know what PE (see posting #2).
So what is the ratio KE/PE?

1/2? or is it 2?

-1/2?

Bingo. :smile:

hmm weird that wasnt one of the choices on the test, just 1/2 and that's what i marked. wonder if its a typo on the test...
oh well thanks a bunch!

Strictly speaking one of the choices should have been -1/2. If you marked 1/2 and that was the only choice, then you probably got full credit. Some examiners don't pay attention to signs, but that is confusing to students who do.

What is the formula for calculating kinetic energy?

The formula for calculating kinetic energy is KE=1/2mv^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

What is the formula for calculating potential energy?

The formula for calculating potential energy depends on the type of potential energy present. For gravitational potential energy, the formula is PE=mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object. For elastic potential energy, the formula is PE=1/2kx^2, where k is the spring constant and x is the displacement from equilibrium.

How do you calculate the ratio of kinetic energy to potential energy?

The ratio of kinetic energy to potential energy can be calculated by dividing the kinetic energy (KE) by the potential energy (PE). This can be written as KE/PE. The value of this ratio will depend on the specific values of KE and PE for the given object.

What is the significance of the kinetic energy/potential energy ratio?

The kinetic energy/potential energy ratio is a measure of the balance between the two forms of energy in an object. A higher ratio indicates that the object has more kinetic energy compared to potential energy, while a lower ratio indicates the opposite. This ratio is often used to analyze the behavior and motion of objects in various systems.

How can the kinetic energy/potential energy ratio be changed?

The kinetic energy/potential energy ratio can be changed by altering the factors that affect kinetic and potential energy, such as mass, velocity, height, and spring constant. For example, increasing the velocity or height of an object will increase its kinetic energy and decrease its potential energy, resulting in a higher ratio. Similarly, decreasing the mass or spring constant of an object will have the same effect.