Help with Lenz's Law Homework - Right Hand Rule and Magnetic Field Direction

In summary, the conversation discusses Lenz's law and the use of the right hand rule to determine the direction of current. The problem at hand is determining the direction of the magnetic field to oppose the change. After some discussion, it is determined that the field lines are only going in and the magnetic flux will decrease. Based on Lenz's law, the current to cause field lines going in would be clockwise.
Avalanche

Homework Statement

Please click on the following link for the question.

http://i1008.photobucket.com/albums/af204/John132456/physics.jpg

Homework Equations

Lenz's law. This states that when emf produces current, the magnetic field will oppose change.

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand I have to use the right hand rule #1 to find the direction of the current. In order to use the right hand rule, I need to know the direction the magnetic field will point to oppose the change. The problem I am having is that I don't understand what change is happening so I don't know which direction the magnetic field will point.

Any help will be appreciated

(the answer is clockwise)

Physics news on Phys.org
Avalanche said:

Homework Statement

Please click on the following link for the question.

http://i1008.photobucket.com/albums/af204/John132456/physics.jpg

Homework Equations

Lenz's law. This states that when emf produces current, the magnetic field will oppose change.

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand I have to use the right hand rule #1 to find the direction of the current. In order to use the right hand rule, I need to know the direction the magnetic field will point to oppose the change. The problem I am having is that I don't understand what change is happening so I don't know which direction the magnetic field will point.

Any help will be appreciated

(the answer is clockwise)

Those crosses in the diagram indicate the field present is into the page.

Now you have to consider the change: as the loop moves, will there be more field or less field threading the loop - that "more" or "less" is the change.

PeterO said:
Those crosses in the diagram indicate the field present is into the page.

Now you have to consider the change: as the loop moves, will there be more field or less field threading the loop - that "more" or "less" is the change.

Thanks for your reply.

How do you know whether there will be more field lines going in or more field lines going out?

Avalanche said:
Thanks for your reply.

How do you know whether there will be more field lines going in or more field lines going out?

The field lines are only going in - you just need to know whether there will be more or less of them soon.

If the loop moves a long way down, how much flux will there be?

Last edited:
PeterO said:
The field lines are only going in - you just need to know whether there will be more or less of them soon.

If the loop moves a long way down, how much flux will there be?

Magnetic flux is the number of field lines passing through the loop. It is equal to the magnetic field multiplied by the area. The area doesn't change but the magnitude of the field decreases so magnetic flux will decrease

So because Lenz's law states the magnetic field will oppose change, more field lines will be going in. And using the right hand rule, the current to cause field lines going in would be clockwise.

Is my thinking correct?

Avalanche said:
Magnetic flux is the number of field lines passing through the loop. It is equal to the magnetic field multiplied by the area. The area doesn't change but the magnitude of the field decreases so magnetic flux will decrease

So because Lenz's law states the magnetic field will oppose change, more field lines will be going in. And using the right hand rule, the current to cause field lines going in would be clockwise.

Is my thinking correct?

Reasoning a little backwards, the reasoning and answer correct.

The area does change while the Magnetic field strength doesn't. The area is changing because less and less of the loop is in the region of the field.
Flux is the magnetic field multiplied by that part of the area in the field.

Related to Help with Lenz's Law Homework - Right Hand Rule and Magnetic Field Direction

1. What is Lenz's Law and how does it relate to the right hand rule and magnetic field direction?

Lenz's Law states that the direction of an induced current in a conductor will always oppose the change that produced it. This law is closely related to the right hand rule, which is used to determine the direction of the magnetic field around a current-carrying conductor. The direction of the induced current is also determined by the direction of the magnetic field according to Lenz's Law.

2. How do I use the right hand rule to determine the direction of the magnetic field?

The right hand rule is used by pointing the thumb of your right hand in the direction of the current flow. Your fingers will then naturally curl in the direction of the magnetic field. If the current is moving towards you, the magnetic field will be counterclockwise. If the current is moving away from you, the magnetic field will be clockwise.

3. What is the significance of the direction of the magnetic field in Lenz's Law?

The direction of the magnetic field is significant because it determines the direction of the induced current according to Lenz's Law. If the magnetic field is clockwise, the induced current will flow counterclockwise, and vice versa. This is important because it allows us to predict the behavior of the induced current in a conductor.

4. How can I use the right hand rule and Lenz's Law to solve problems?

To solve problems involving Lenz's Law and the right hand rule, you must first determine the direction of the current and the magnetic field. Then, use the right hand rule to find the direction of the magnetic field. Finally, use Lenz's Law to determine the direction of the induced current. This information can then be used to solve equations or problems related to the magnetic field and induced current.

5. Can Lenz's Law and the right hand rule be applied to all situations involving magnetic fields and currents?

Yes, Lenz's Law and the right hand rule can be applied to all situations involving magnetic fields and currents, as long as the magnetic field is constant. In cases where the magnetic field is changing, the full version of Lenz's Law, which takes into account the rate of change of the magnetic field, must be used. However, the basic principles of Lenz's Law and the right hand rule still apply in these situations.