How can I achieve the desired distortion of an object using light refraction?

In summary, the problem being discussed is the creation of a lens that can refract light to eliminate perspective distortion when photographing an object. The goal is to create an image that is equivalent to stitching together multiple images taken from a satellite orbiting a planet. The proposed solution is to use a concave half-sphere and a smooth plane as refractive objects, but the issue is that the resulting image is still distorted due to uneven separation of light rays. The request is for help in determining the correct shape and index of refraction for the refractive objects to achieve the desired distortion-free image. This is not a homework assignment, but part of a personal project involving extracting planar textures from 3d spheres.
navand
Template? mmk...

1. Problem... (with intro)

Let's start with a camera. We know that a camera uses a lens to refract incoming light into parallel rays that travel to the sensor (or film). Like so:

[PLAIN]http://a.imageshack.us/img508/2370/camerau.png The problem I'm going to ask about revolves around refracting light with a lens to get a desired distortion of an object.

Imagine a satellite orbiting a planet. As the satellite moves, it looks straight down and takes an image of the surface. If you stitch together all the images the satellite takes you'll be left with a map without perspective distortion. A sort of unwrapped texture of the planet.

Now let's go back to our camera. Let's imagine I strip it down of it's parts and take just the sensor. Let's also imagine that I set up a half-sphere in front of the sensor. I want to create a lens that will allow me to see the half-sphere in such way as the stitched satellite image would look. Evey pixel taken from above, without perspective.

To do this, I first identify the light rays I want to get to my sensor. In any given point of my sphere, the ray of interest is the one that coincides with the point's normal, like so:

[PLAIN]http://a.imageshack.us/img836/8285/lightrays.png Now that I know my rays, I create a lens that refracts them into a parallel position. I thought about a concave half-sphere on a side and a smooth plane on the other. This seems to be right when I render a raytrace on a 3d modelling program. I have no idea what the right index of refraction the lens should have for this to work right. Diagram as follows:

[PLAIN]http://a.imageshack.us/img507/6536/refraction.png This works right in the 3d program and all, except for one thing. While all the pixels in my image are "taken from above", the image is still distorted. The parts closer to the half-sphere's edges are smaller than those at the center. This happens because, as you can see in the diagram, the separation of the rays is uneven. The rays are separated like points along a sine wave are separated in the X dimension.

I need to refract the light rays one more time to make my rays equidistant. Sadly, this is where my physics intuition starts failing. I was never too good at physics anyway, and I didn't pay attention at school.

I need help about 2 things:

- determine the right shape (in 2d) of the second refraction object that will make the right distortion (feel free to merge both refractive objects into a single one if you want to).

- as an added help, tell me what the right Index of Refraction my original lens should have had. I had been playing with the refraction index variable in my 3d program until it seemed to look right.

Also, mind that this isn't a homework or anything like that. Just part of a personal project, that right now is in the stage of extracting planar textures from 3d spheres on which photos of a basketball have been projected.

Lastly, one more image to better explain the core problem:

[PLAIN]http://a.imageshack.us/img412/2653/problemfm.png Sorry for not using the template right...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone? :(

1. What is light refraction?

Light refraction is the bending of light as it passes through different mediums, such as air, water, or glass. This bending is caused by a change in the speed of light as it travels from one medium to another.

2. How does light refraction occur?

Light refraction occurs when light passes through a medium with a different density, causing the speed of light to change. This change in speed causes the light to bend as it travels through the medium. The amount of bending depends on the angle at which the light enters the medium and the difference in density between the two mediums.

3. What is the law of refraction?

The law of refraction, also known as Snell's law, states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is equal to the ratio of the speeds of light in the two mediums. In other words, the angle of refraction is directly proportional to the ratio of the speeds of light in the two mediums.

4. How is light refraction used in everyday life?

Light refraction has many practical applications in our daily lives. It is used in the design of eyeglasses and contact lenses to correct vision. It is also used in the production of lenses for cameras, telescopes, and microscopes. In addition, light refraction is responsible for the beautiful colors we see in rainbows and the stunning visual effects in prisms and diamonds.

5. What factors affect light refraction?

The amount of light refraction depends on several factors. The angle at which the light enters the medium, the difference in density between the two mediums, and the wavelength of the light all play a role in determining the amount of bending that occurs. Additionally, the refractive index of a material, which is a measure of how much light is bent when passing through it, can also affect light refraction.