Help with nonlinear ordinary differential equation

In summary, the conversation is about solving a first-order nonlinear ODE and the use of substitution to try and turn it into a linear differential equation. The person trying to solve the problem is stuck after multiple attempts and asks for help.
tx_math
Any help with solving this first-order nonlinear ODE would be greatly appreciated! I do believe that an explicit solution exists.

Homework Statement

dy/dt = 1/(4t^2) + 1/2 + 1/2*y/t - 1/(2t)*((1+4ty)^(1/2))

I was led to believe that it could be solved by turning it into a linear differential equation. Perhaps by an appropriate substitution, although I have not had any luck with finding something that works here.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can separate the rewrite the equation to look like:

dy/dt = 1/2 - 1/2*y/t + [1/(4t^2) + y/t] - [1/(4t^2) + y/t]^1/2

so if I substitute v = [1/(4t^2) + y/t] I get

dy/dt = 1/2 - 1/2*y/t + v - v^1/2

after more re-arranging i then get

dy/dt = 1/2 + 1/(8t^2) + v/2 - v^(1/2)

and dv/dt = -1/(2t^3) - y/t^2 + 1/t*dy/dt

which can be rewritten as dv/dt = -1/(4t^3) - v/t + 1/t*dy/dt

but substituting in for dy/dt gives me big mess with v's and t's but nothing I know what to do with

Please help!

Last edited:
[tex]
\frac{dy}{dt} = \frac{1}{4t^2} + \frac{1}{2} + \frac{y}{2t} - \frac{\sqrt{1+4ty}}{2t}
[/tex]

It looks better this way...

Using [tex] v = \frac{1}{4t^2} + \frac{y}{t} [/tex]

I can reduce this equation to the following:

[tex]
\frac{dv}{dt} = \frac{1}{2t} - \frac{1}{8t^3} - \frac{v}{2t} - \frac{\sqrt{v}}{t}
[/tex]

but from there I'm stuck...

Any ideas?? Maybe I didn't pick the right expression for v...

1. What is a nonlinear ordinary differential equation?

A nonlinear ordinary differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between an unknown function and its derivatives. Unlike linear ODEs, which have a simple relationship between the function and its derivatives, nonlinear ODEs have a more complex relationship and require advanced mathematical techniques to solve.

2. Why are nonlinear ordinary differential equations difficult to solve?

Nonlinear ODEs are difficult to solve because they do not have a closed-form solution like linear ODEs do. This means that there is no simple equation that can be used to find the solution for all values of the independent variable. Instead, numerical methods or approximations must be used to find an approximate solution.

3. What is the importance of solving nonlinear ordinary differential equations?

Nonlinear ODEs are used to model many real-world phenomena, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits. Solving these equations allows us to understand and predict the behavior of these systems, which is crucial in fields such as physics, engineering, and biology.

4. What are some techniques for solving nonlinear ordinary differential equations?

Some techniques for solving nonlinear ODEs include separation of variables, substitution, and numerical methods such as Euler's method or the Runge-Kutta method. Advanced techniques such as series solutions, perturbation methods, and Laplace transforms can also be used for more complex equations.

5. Can computer software be used to solve nonlinear ordinary differential equations?

Yes, computer software such as MATLAB, Mathematica, and Maple can be used to solve nonlinear ODEs. These programs use numerical methods and algorithms to approximate the solution to the equation. However, it is still important to understand the underlying principles and techniques for solving nonlinear ODEs in order to interpret and validate the results obtained from the software.