Help with perpendicular straight line equations

In summary, to find the equation of a line perpendicular to a given line and passing through a given point, you need to rearrange the given line into the form y=mx+c, determine the gradient, and then use the fact that the product of the gradients of perpendicular lines is -1 to find the gradient of the perpendicular line. From there, you can use the given point to solve for the y-intercept and write the equation in the form y=mx+c.
rkell48

Homework Statement

Find the equation of the line perpendicular to

Homework Equations

−8y − 8 − 16x = 0 and passing through the point (18, 0).

The Attempt at a Solution

-8y = 16x +8
y = =2x -1
-2(x-18) = y - 0
-2x +36 = 0
-2 x = -36

Physics news on Phys.org
You are given the equation of a line. Re-arrange it into the familiar form: y=mx + c

From this, you can immediately identify the gradient of that line.

Next step, determine what the gradient would be of any line that is perpendicular to this one.

You would have covered this in class; or at least, you'll be able to find it in your textbook: if a line has a gradient m, what is the gradient of a line perpendicular to this? (Maybe you can pretend that you don't actually know, but can show how it can be worked out from first principles?)

my lecturer is awful, my lecture notes are brief and don't explain anything

i don't understand how to do it

:/

rkell48 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

-8y = 16x +8
y = =2x -1
-2(x-18) = y - 0
-2x +36 = 0
Why did y disappear?
-2 x = -36

rkell48 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

-8y = 16x +8
y = =2x -1
-2(x-18) = y - 0
-2x +36 = 0
-2 x = -36

You need to be familiar with the gradient relationship for perpendicular lines

Even before you can use that, perhaps you could find the equation of the line parallel to

so we can assess you ability to do problems of this type.

Parallel is often considered the simpler problem, with perpendicular just adding one extra twist.

If a line has equation y= mx+ b, then any line with equation y= mx+ c (same slope) is parallel to it. To be perpendicular, the second line must be of the form y= -(1/m)x+ c. That is the product of the two slopes must be -1.

HallsofIvy said:
If a line has equation y= mx+ b, then any line with equation y= mx+ c (same slope) is parallel to it. To be perpendicular, the second line must be of the form y= -(1/m)x+ c. That is the product of the two slopes must be -1.

I wanted to see OP solve the parallel line to see if he/she knew a line parallel to -8y - 8 - 18x = 0 would have the formula -8y + c - 18x = 0
If OP knew to solve parallel lines that way, then he/she could simply use the fact that a line perpendicular to -8y - 8 - 18x = 0 would have the formula -18y + c + 8x = 0
In each case the given point is substituted to evaluate c.

FAQ: Help with perpendicular straight line equations

1. What is a perpendicular straight line?

A perpendicular straight line is a line that intersects another line at a 90 degree angle. It forms a right angle with the other line.

2. How do I find the equation of a perpendicular line?

To find the equation of a perpendicular line, you need to first determine the slope of the original line. Then, take the negative reciprocal of that slope and use it as the slope of the perpendicular line. Finally, use the point-slope form or the slope-intercept form to write the equation of the new line.

3. Can two lines be perpendicular if they have the same slope?

No, two lines cannot be perpendicular if they have the same slope. Perpendicular lines must have slopes that are negative reciprocals of each other.

4. How many points do I need to find the equation of a perpendicular line?

You need at least one point and the slope of the perpendicular line to find its equation. However, having two points can provide a more accurate equation and allow for easier graphing.

5. Can a straight line and a curved line be perpendicular?

No, a straight line and a curved line cannot be perpendicular. Perpendicular lines must be straight and intersect at a 90 degree angle. A curved line cannot form a 90 degree angle with any straight line.

Back