How can I solve a Dirichlet problem defined for a parabolic region?

In summary, the problem at hand is a Dirichlet problem defined for a parabolic region, which makes it more suitable to use the parabolic Laplacian and Green's functions instead of the traditional Laplacian. One approach to solving it is to transform the region into a rectangular one using the parabolic coordinate transformation and then using standard methods for solving Dirichlet problems. Another approach is to use the Laplace transform method to transform the problem into an ODE that can be solved using standard techniques.
zebra

Homework Statement

Hi, I am looking for a hint, how to solve the following Dirichlet problem. All the standard textbooks have only examples for Dirichlet problems in rectangular or polar coordinate systems, but this problem is defined for a parabolic region.

Homework Equations

uxx+uyy=2, x>y2
u(x,y)=0, x=y2

The Attempt at a Solution

Transformation into parabolic coordinates and using separation of variables? I am having a problem even with that. The parabolic coordinates with the parabolic Laplacian are here http://eom.springer.de/P/p071170.htm. I don´t even know, how to transform the boundaries. The parabolic coordinates are so unusual. Is this a right method or would you solve it differently? (with Green functions, or Laplace transform etc)

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there! It seems like you are on the right track with using separation of variables and transforming into parabolic coordinates. However, since this problem is defined for a parabolic region, it may be more appropriate to use the parabolic Laplacian and Green's functions instead of the traditional Laplacian.

One approach you can try is to first transform the given region into a rectangular one using the parabolic coordinate transformation. Then, you can use the standard methods for solving Dirichlet problems in rectangular coordinates, such as separation of variables or Green's functions.

Alternatively, you can also try using the Laplace transform method, where you take the Laplace transform of the given PDE and boundary conditions. This will transform the problem into an ODE, which you can then solve using standard techniques.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is the Poisson equation?

The Poisson equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a scalar function and its sources. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to model the distribution of a scalar quantity, such as temperature or electric potential, in a defined space.

2. How is the Poisson equation solved?

The Poisson equation is typically solved using numerical methods, such as finite difference or finite element methods. These methods involve dividing the space into smaller regions and approximating the solution at each point using a set of equations. The solutions are then combined to obtain an overall solution for the entire space.

3. What are the applications of the Poisson equation?

The Poisson equation has many applications in physics and engineering, including electrostatics, heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics. It is also used in image processing, where it can be used to enhance images and remove noise.

4. What are the boundary conditions for the Poisson equation?

The boundary conditions for the Poisson equation depend on the specific problem being modeled. Typically, the boundary conditions specify the values of the scalar function at the boundaries of the defined space, and can also include information about the sources of the scalar quantity.

5. How does the Poisson equation relate to the Laplace equation?

The Poisson equation is closely related to the Laplace equation. In fact, the Laplace equation is a special case of the Poisson equation where the sources are equal to zero. This means that solving the Poisson equation for a particular problem will also yield the solution for the corresponding Laplace equation.