Help with problems over Newton's Laws

In summary, the conversation discusses two physics problems involving finding the coefficient of friction and the normal force. The conversation includes various steps and equations used to solve the problems, and the poster seeks clarification on their answers.
ownedbyphysics
I need help with these problems that I'm not quite sure on how to do, I have attempted and gotten and answer, but I tend to be wrong...

1. a 0.095 KG pom pom slides along the gym flour with an initial speed of 5.50 m/s. It came to a complete stop in 1.9 m. What is the coefficient of friction between a pom pom and the gym floor?
a. I found acceleration by using a= vi^2/ 2d which is 5.50^2/ 1.9*2
b. then I used ma to find force then I assumed that F= the force of friction then isolated coefficient of friction and divided by mg using the equation Ff= umg
and my answer was .811

I really didn't know what to do for the above problem, especially for step b, I just did whatever that came to mind, even though it doesn't really make much sense to me.

2. Michael stands on a scale in a moving elevator. His mass is 110.0 kg, the combined mass of the elevator and the scale is an additional 815.5 kg. Starting from rest, the elevator accelerates upward. During the acceleration, there is a tension of 9415.5 N in the hoisting cable. What is the reading on the scale (his weight) during the acceleration?

a. I found acceleration by using Ft= ma + mg = 9415.5N- (915.5)(9.81)= (915.5)a which was .4745 m/s^2
b. then I used F=ma so I mutlipled .475 by 110.0 kg and got 52.2 N

I have no idea if any of my answers make sense, please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
ownedbyphysics said:
I need help with these problems that I'm not quite sure on how to do, I have attempted and gotten and answer, but I tend to be wrong...

1. a 0.095 KG pom pom slides along the gym flour with an initial speed of 5.50 m/s. It came to a complete stop in 1.9 m. What is the coefficient of friction between a pom pom and the gym floor?
a. I found acceleration by using a= vi^2/ 2d which is 5.50^2/ 1.9*2
b. then I used ma to find force then I assumed that F= the force of friction then isolated coefficient of friction and divided by mg using the equation Ff= umg
and my answer was .811

I really didn't know what to do for the above problem, especially for step b, I just did whatever that came to mind, even though it doesn't really make much sense to me.

2. Michael stands on a scale in a moving elevator. His mass is 110.0 kg, the combined mass of the elevator and the scale is an additional 815.5 kg. Starting from rest, the elevator accelerates upward. During the acceleration, there is a tension of 9415.5 N in the hoisting cable. What is the reading on the scale (his weight) during the acceleration?

a. I found acceleration by using Ft= ma + mg = 9415.5N- (915.5)(9.81)= (915.5)a which was .4745 m/s^2
b. then I used F=ma so I mutlipled .475 by 110.0 kg and got 52.2 N

I have no idea if any of my answers make sense, please help!
Good start on (1), you found the acceleration correctly, and corectly determined the friction coefficient. But what you MUST do is draw free body diagrams. Examine all the forces acting. Only friction in this case, so that's the total net force causing the acceleration.

In (2), you again have solved a correctly , now draw a free body of Michael...his weight acting down, the normal force (scale reading) acting up, and a you have solved already up. Use Newton 2 again to solve for the normal force.

I think your #1 is OK. You are on the right track with #2, but you have an addition problem and maybe some typos in your post. The net force on Michael is not what he will read on the scale.

for the addition problem, it was the formula that my teacher told us for Fty...so I used that for the elevator problem since it's up and down. I tried 52.2N= m(9.81) = 5.32kg, but that doesn't make any sense. I'm sorry but I have no idea what to do next!

Last edited:
or maybe I have to find the net acceleration since I found the acceleration acting up so would I do 9.81- .4745 =9.3355 then multiply it by the mass to get the weight? = 1026.905 N? would the scale be reading Newtons?

ownedbyphysics said:
for the addition problem, it was the formula that my teacher told us for Fty...so I used that for the elevator problem since it's up and down. I tried 52.2N= m(9.81) = 5.32kg, but that doesn't make any sense. I'm sorry but I have no idea what to do next!
The addition problem is adding the masses. The total mass is 925.5kg, not 915.5kg. That changes the weight of the elevator and contents, which changes the difference between tension and weight, which changes the acceleration. I think your method is OK, but when you find the final net force on Michael you have to remember that the scale is not reading the net force; it is reading the normal force.

OlderDan said:
The addition problem is adding the masses. The total mass is 925.5kg, not 915.5kg. That changes the weight of the elevator and contents, which changes the difference between tension and weight, which changes the acceleration. I think your method is OK, but when you find the final net force on Michael you have to remember that the scale is not reading the net force; it is reading the normal force.

That's the part I don't understand because Fn= mg...I don't know how to find the normal force without just using 110.0*9.81

ownedbyphysics said:
That's the part I don't understand because Fn= mg...I don't know how to find the normal force without just using 110.0*9.81
Fn=mg only when Michael is not accelerating. When he is accelerating, the forces are not balanced. The net force is the difference between the two, and that causes him to accelerate. Use Newton's second law to write his acceleration in terms of the difference between his weight and the normal, and solve that equation for the normal force. This is the same thing that was done for the elevator when looking at the difference between the tension and the weight. Fix your mass addition error. Find the acceleration. Then solve for the normal force acting on Michael.

ohh! thank you!

1. What are Newton's three laws of motion?

Newton's first law states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. Newton's second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. Newton's third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

2. How do I apply Newton's laws to solve problems?

To solve problems involving Newton's laws, you must first identify the forces acting on the object and their directions. Then, use Newton's second law to calculate the net force and determine the acceleration of the object. Finally, use kinematic equations to solve for other quantities such as velocity or displacement.

3. Can Newton's laws be applied to all objects?

Yes, Newton's laws of motion apply to all objects, whether they are on Earth or in space. However, for objects moving at extremely high speeds or in extreme conditions, other factors such as relativity or quantum mechanics may also come into play.

4. What is the difference between mass and weight in relation to Newton's laws?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Newton's laws are based on an object's mass and the forces acting on it, not its weight. However, weight can be used to calculate the force of gravity acting on an object, which is a factor in Newton's second law.

5. How do Newton's laws relate to everyday life?

Newton's laws are applicable to many everyday situations, such as driving a car, playing sports, or even just walking. For example, Newton's first law explains why seat belts are important in a car crash, and Newton's third law explains why a rocket is able to launch into space. Understanding these laws can help us make predictions and solve problems in our daily lives.