HELP with problems with lab. UPLOADED PICS

• Thread starter gnome222
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lab
In summary, the data for the "mass of rice" was collected in a lab setting and an error was claimed to be ±ΔMave for the average.
gnome222
I am doing lab for physics and I have doe problems. I will appreciate any help thanks.
1) How do you calculate the error in raw data?
2) How do you use this equation Δmave = (mmax – mmin)/2
I have example but I have no idea where do you get the max and min. This equation is for calculating the error( + or - ) for the average.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to physicsforums!
gnome222 said:
1) How do you calculate the error in raw data?
That depends on your experiment and data. There are tons of books about that topic, there is no way to give a simple general answer.
gnome222 said:
I have example but I have no idea where do you get the max and min.
Neither do we because you shared exactly nothing about your experiment or the background of the equation.

mfb said:
Welcome to physicsforums!
That depends on your experiment and data. There are tons of books about that topic, there is no way to give a simple general answer.
Neither do we because you shared exactly nothing about your experiment or the background of the equation.

This is the example that i got. how would you calculate Δmave = (mmax – mmin)/2 for this particular example. Like, i can't figure out where they got the max and min from.thanks
Screen Shot 2014-10-12 at 4.57.43 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-10-12 at 5.00.10 PM.png

gnome222, Please use the homework template that is provided when you start a new thread in the homework area of Physics Forums.

The data for your Mave and ΔMave comes from the raw data:
Fig1.gif

For each line of data the Mave value is the arithmetic average of the raw data entries for the "mass of rice", rounded to two significant figures.

The ΔMave takes the largest and smallest values in one line of data and forms the average of them. In the first table you presented (which is reduced data, not raw data), each entry in the Average Hanging Mass column should have a corresponding ΔMave accompanying it.

gneill said:
gnome222, Please use the homework template that is provided when you start a new thread in the homework area of Physics Forums.

The data for your Mave and ΔMave comes from the raw data:
View attachment 74349

For each line of data the Mave value is the arithmetic average of the raw data entries for the "mass of rice", rounded to two significant figures.

The ΔMave takes the largest and smallest values in one line of data and forms the average of them. In the first table you presented (which is reduced data, not raw data), each entry in the Average Hanging Mass column should have a corresponding ΔMave accompanying it.
Hmmm. So how would you calculate the error? Thanks for response.

gnome222 said:
Hmmm. So how would you calculate the error? Thanks for response.
The error in what? It looks like they are taking the raw data and claiming an error of ±ΔMave for the average values.

gneill said:
The error in what? It looks like they are taking the raw data and claiming an error of ±ΔMave for the average values.
I mean the error in trials. The .1 g. Or it is just the precission of their instrument by which that are measuring.

gnome222 said:
I mean the error in trials. The .1 g. Or it is just the precission of their instrument by which that are measuring.
Well, I don't know what the equipment was or the lab setup, or in fact what the objectives were for the lab. I can only go by what you've presented so far. From what I can tell, for each "wooden block" a set of 5 trials of some sort were performed leading to five quantities of rice whose masses were then measured by some equipment with a stated accuracy of ±0.1g . But it seems that something in the nature of the setup leads to a much larger variation in those masses of rice. So I'm not sure what it "means" to measure those values to an accuracy of 0.1g when they vary by an order of magnitude or two more than that.

If you want to know how accurate your averages are you can use the usual propagation of error formulas for addition and division to fix the accuracy of the averages. You can then check to see if the rounding to two figures is justified.

EDIT: If you do a web search on "error propagation" you will turn up lots of resources. For example, here's a page for a lab tutorial that gives basic formulas for determining and propagating the uncertainty in measured values (trials):

http://www.clemson.edu/ces/phoenix/tutorials/errorp/

Last edited:

Related to HELP with problems with lab. UPLOADED PICS

1. What should I do if I am having trouble with my lab?

If you are having trouble with your lab, the first thing you should do is reach out to your lab instructor or teaching assistant for assistance. They are there to help you and can provide guidance and clarification on any confusing parts of the lab.

2. How do I upload pictures of my lab work for help?

The process for uploading pictures may differ depending on the platform your lab is hosted on. Generally, you can upload pictures by clicking on a designated upload button or by dragging and dropping the pictures into a designated area. If you are still having trouble, reach out to your instructor for specific instructions.

3. Can I get help with my lab even if I am not on campus?

Yes, many labs have virtual options for assistance. You can reach out to your lab instructor or teaching assistant through email or online communication platforms for help with your lab work.

4. I am struggling with understanding the instructions for my lab. What should I do?

If you are having trouble understanding the instructions for your lab, try reading them multiple times and breaking them down into smaller steps. If you are still having trouble, reach out to your instructor for clarification. It can also be helpful to collaborate with classmates to better understand the instructions.

5. What should I do if I am stuck on a specific step of my lab?

If you are stuck on a specific step of your lab, try reviewing the materials and notes provided for the lab. If you are still having trouble, reach out to your instructor or teaching assistant for help. They can provide guidance and help you troubleshoot the problem.